Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"access denied", but it isn't

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DottieR

DottieR

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Since I reformatted, every time I delete something in msconfig I get "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

But the changes work. this is just annoying. I am the administrator, the only account, no passwords. XP Pro never did this to me before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thanks. I will try it out.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Sure. For future reference, msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility only, not for making permanent changes.
If you still have problems doing it the "right" way, just let us know and we'll continue trying to help.

Edited by Allan, 18 October 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#5 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

"For future reference, msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility only, not for making permanent changes."

I certainly did not know that.
Thanks.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

You're not alone - lots of folks make the same mistake :)

#7 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

So the obvious question - Why doesn't MS do that?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Why don't they do what?

#9 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Put a nice little program like that into their OS.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

Put a nice little program like that into their OS.

Good question.
I would like to think that if a program was identified via msconfig.exe as a troublemaker, the *user* would take it as a hint to uninstall it. I mean, if a program has to be disabled by way of another program, where will it all end? What would be the point in keeping the original offender?
Good question indeed; I would certainly like to hear others opinions on the matter.... :mellow:

#11 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Not all the stuff that gets on the start list is bad. What I want to uncheck is mostly updaters and things that get used only occasionally and don't need to start up every time.

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Quite rigt about startup programs not all bad. If I install a driver or program, seems that one service handles multiple processes; disabling the service or setting it to manual will (most times) take out multiple processes - some of which I would rather have running. My god, printers/fax/copiers are the worst. :blink: Finding that delicate balance that will let one rest can be time consuming and frustraing at times. (So can a good crossword puzzle or erecting a steel superstructure.) System Configuration and Services was all I had to try to find that comfortable balance. Necessity dictated learnig to implement these tools (along with Group Policy Editor) fairly competently. I was ecstatic to find single programs that were more user friendly to accomplish the same tasks. I just do not have the knowledge/experience of them to be able to pass on apropriate information.

I have picked up a lot here at BC and am grateful. Hope to be able to pass it along.

One
:wink:

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

Dottie, do you have an HP printer?

#14 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

No. I have a Samsung ML-1740.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

The reason I asked is because HP printers will cause the message you describe when using msconfig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users