Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in 7E BSOD loop, can't start Windows at all?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 boofie75

boofie75

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hello,

I am trying to fix a friend's laptop. It is a Compaq Presario 2500us series, and its problem is that it boots as far as the Windows XP loading screen, then I get a blue screen with a 7E STOP error for less than a second, then it loops this cycle. I WAS able to boot into safe mode, as it gave me the option before, but for some reason I can't do so anymore. When I was in safe mode, I went to check the drivers, and the Ethernet driver had an exclamation mark next to it, as did just about everything in the "other devices" section - USB, Mass media storage, etc. USB and memory card slots don't seem to work at all - however, the CD-ROM drive does work.

What I have done so far is used my own Windows disc to enter Recovery mode, then done chkdsk /p, which turned up one or more disk errors. I then ran chkdsk /r, then chkdsk /p again and it did not turn up any errors that time. However, it still gives me the same 7E error loop again. My friend says she doesn't think she has the discs, otherwise I would use those to reinstall the bad drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hi boofie75,

Try booting into 'Last Known Good' configuration...

Post back let us know !

Pauline

#3 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hi, and thank you for your response Pauline :)

Oh, I've tried that. Still the same BSOD. I'm updating what I've done since I've spent a few hours last night trying more things.

I am also no longer able to boot in safe mode (networking, command prompt or just regular safe mode), for some reason. It tells me "windows XP setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now", with simply an "ok" button. When I click ok, the computer reboots and tries to boot into normal Windows, again with the same blue screen, and then the loop again. I went into the BIOS and ran a self-test on the hard drive and it came back #1-7 fail. I read online that the drive may have come loose, so I removed the hard drive and put it back in, still getting the same fail message. However, when I boot into recovery mode, I can see the contents of the c: drive by using dir command. I cannot get into the Documents and Settings or Program Files folders via the prompt, however, it says "Access denied" or something like that.

I asked my friend what exactly happened when it failed, and she said that Windows wanted to update and that it would shut down when the update was complete, so she said ok and let it do its thing while she went to bed. When she woke up it was still on and the next time she powered it on she got the blue screen. Back when I was able to get into safe mode the other night, I did see that she was on service pack 2.

I am taking the computer to my dad tonight, I know he has a converter that will allow me to connect the hard drive to my desktop PC so that I can (hopefully) backup her files somewhere. My friend said that if I can at least salvage her files she will be happy.

Brad

Edited by boofie75, 19 October 2011 - 08:32 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Sounds to me like your friend has an infection that she is not talking about.

To be updating to SP2 in 2011...leaves a lot of questions, IMO.

I would be very careful about salvaging files.

Louis

#5 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, Louis, that's a possibility. She did say a couple of weeks ago that her computer was running super slow. I offered to look at it then, but she declined. Thing is, she said Windows wanted to update, but I don't know for sure if that was Windows. Could have been malware acting as a Windows update for all I know (which is what I believe you're implying, unless I'm incorrect). I know she has a bunch of pictures of her children and things like that, that she wants to salvage, so I'd really like to save those.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might not have tried, or should I possibly try the malware forum?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Well...if it's unbootable with the possibility of malware, someone with much more knowledge than I should offer some suggestions :).

In any case, I would try to remove the possibility of malware as a problem.

Hang on for a bit, we have some personnel who can offer more substantial opinions/suggestions on situations involving unbootable computers...I will ask one of them to take a look at this topic.

Louis

#7 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thank you so much, Louis. I really appreciate your help! :)

Edit/small update: My father just gave me his Hiren's disc and I used it to do a quick read test on the hard drive, which came back with no problems.

EDIT/another small update: Last night I used Hiren's to test the RAM and that test came out fine, ran a surface test on the hard drive and it came up with 11 bad sectors, which were repaired. I also re-seated the RAM and hard drive again.

Edited by boofie75, 20 October 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hi, :welcome:

Lets give it a try.

We will need to view the system status from an external environment. You will need a USB drive and a CD to burn. There will be several steps to follow.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Also Download Query.exe to the USB drive. In your working computer, navigate to the USB drive and click on the Query.exe. A folder and a file, query.sh, will be extracted.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert them in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • In some computers you need to tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD, in others is the Esc key. Please consult your computer's documentation.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Then type bash driver.sh -af
  • Press Enter
  • You will be prompted to input a filename.
  • Type the following:

Winlogon.exe

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • After it has completed the search enter the next file to be searched
  • Type the following:

volsnap.sys

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • Type the following:

explorer.exe

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

Userinit.exe

• Press Enter
  • After the search is completed type Exit and press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as filefind.txt
  • While still in the Open Terminal, type bash query.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as RegReport.txt
  • Then type dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Leave a space among the following Statements:

dd is the executable application used to create the backup
    if=/dev/sda is the device the backup is created from - the hard drive when only one HDD exists
    of=mbr.bin is the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
    bs=512 is the number of bytes in the backup
    count=1 says to backup just 1 sector

It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as mbr.bin
  • Plug the USB back into the clean computer, zip the mbr.bin, and except for the mbr.bin zipped file, post the contents of the report.txt, filefind.txt and RegReport.txt in your next reply. The mbr.bin zipped file must be attached to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#9 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thank you SO much, JSntgRvr - I am grateful for your advice and help!

I will do this as soon as I get home later tonight. One thing, though - is there an alternative to using the USB drive on the sick computer? Like I mentioned in the first post, the USB and memory card slots don't seem to work. I plugged a device of mine into the sick computer's USB ports and nothing happened - the device didn't even show "charging" or anything. Even when I could boot in safe mode, it wouldn't recognize any devices or memory cards. There were exclamation marks for all of the drivers under "other devices". The CD drive does in fact work, however.

Edited by boofie75, 20 October 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic to Here in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay.

Please remember to click the Watch Topic button at the top right and select Immediate Notification so you do not miss any replies now that you were moved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Thanks boopme!

#12 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

I didn't get a chance to try your idea tonight, as my dad tried installing another copy of Windows, set to expire in 30 days, just to see what happens. It booted just fine, but all drivers under "other devices" show up on the clean install with exclamation marks. The USB ports still don't work, so would I still be able to use your method?

The good news is that under the new install (XP Pro), I can see the folder containing my friend's files. Unfortunately I can't open it, possibly because it was created in the other copy of Windows and I don't have permission?

#13 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

Once you reinstall, files and folders are rewritten, so our plan wont work. In regard to the files you need access to, you must take ownership of the files and folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

The reason there are exclamation marks in the device manager is due to the lack of drivers. You must now get those drivers from the manufacturer's site and install them.

Your Product key did not work on this new installation?

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#14 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

But it wasn't a reinstall, he installed a second copy (sorry, I wasn't too specific there) . So now there is XP home (problem version) and XP Pro (new install). I believe the Pro install is off of my father's XP discs, and since he's using that serial, it's going to expire in 30 days. He just did it to test and see if it would install all the drivers and to get access to the files we need to save. We connected to the Internet and chose "update drivers" but it couldn't find anything?

Edited by boofie75, 21 October 2011 - 06:39 AM.

#15 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

The only folder that is not being shared is the Windows folder. Everything else is now being shared. The tools we use, wont differentiate between the New and the Old installation. That was a bad move if we are to evaluate the system. We usually perform a parallel install just to backup the personal data and reinstall. At this point it is your only option.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users