Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

faulty wireless card?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 1ce

1ce

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

I have a problem with the wifi card in my laptop at home. sometimes when it starts up it will not pick up the wifi card at all as in not even anything in device manager. at times it will and then after a few hours it will go missing from dev manager. I have replaced driver, reseated, and also rebuilt windows 7 to see if that would solve it... but its still the same, I was starting to think it was faulty hardware?

Stewart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If you could please supply us with the make and model number of your laptop, this will help us to help you better.

Also is this wireless NIC a built in adapter or is this an external adapter?

If it is external, please supply us with the make and model number of it.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 October 2011 - 04:01 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:36 AM

hi, its a dell latitude e6400 and its an internal wireless card id need to wait till i get home to find out the model no of it

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

Okay post that information and send me a PM to this topic, I'll reply back.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

I have been doing some research in the meantime.

Dell Latitude E6400 owners manuals
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/manuals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6400/en/index.htm

Resolving No Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=420860&l=en&s=dhs

List of Dell drivers for Latitude E6400

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LAT_E6400&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Try to stick with any recently dated drivers from that list, yes, I relaize there are several of them listed for wireless. Try to choose them by the newest release date.

The rule of thumb is to uninstall the present driver through device manager, then click update driver, then point it to the location of the wi-fi file you downloaded.

Bruce.

Best of luck.

#6 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

i have now put a different wireless card in the laptop reinstalled windows 7 64bit and is still gibing me this issue? im starting to think that this could be somthing to do with the controller?

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Try disabling and re-enabling the wireless card through the Device Manager.

If that in addition to the driver reinstall fail to work, you could consider a USB Wireless Network Adapter instead.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 December 2011 - 10:01 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I have tried this mate, I have reinstalled windows many times x86 and x64 and i have chaged the actual wireless card also but to no avail.

I find that the card is not showing in device manager ie no card showing at all ONLY after switching on the laptop from it being switched off, but seems to be ok everytime after restarting. Also when left for a while and the laptop goes into sleep mode then resumes the card is NOT showing from that also...its very strange

I'd rather fix the problem rather than just use a dongle as its quite an expensive laptop, any input into this is appreciated

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

When did this problem start? Can you think of anything that happened or changed right before the problem started?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#10 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

this has been happening since the summer, but as i said i have re-installed windows both x64 and x86 many times plus replaced wirless card and the same prob is still happening, i have also updated the bios, i just dont know anything i else i could try

#11 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

no-one can help at all with narrowing this problem down?

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sorry for my absense, been busy the last few months, see my signature below.

If your wireles adapter is a USB device and it does not reactivate from sleep mode, you should go into device manager and under USB properties (Universial Serial Bus controllers) RIGHT CLICK, right click and choose properties check to see if allow windows to power off this device to save power is enabled. If it is, uncheck that option and windows will no longer power off that USB device.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

#13 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

thats no problem mate, the device is NOT usb but an internal card, i have tried 2 seperate cards, and its not as if it goes off after a while of being on, it happens after switching on right from the startup, then i have to restart for it to pick the card up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users