Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes on startup.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

My computer has started crashing in startup sequence.
It is like this:
First comes that BIOS screen. After that comes that system information. Then nothing just a black screen even hard drive stops.
If I use F8 key and select there log the boot sequence then Windows starts properly. What's going on here?

I have WINDOWS XP, 2GB RAM AND 1GB ATI CARD.

Also I have this problem:
I have AD-AWARE with license and AVAST! antivirus.
AVAST! locks up AD-AWARE so AD-AWARE can't be installed in computer.
Which one should I use?
Does AD-AWARE have virus protection.
I also use windows firewall and Emsisoft anti-malware free.

Info for everybody:
Zone Alarm and AVAST! doesn't go together. So don't use them together.
Windows Defender is safe. It goes well with AVAST!

Check out this tool:
WWW.HDTUNE.COM
It is supposed to better then a CHKDSK.

Edited by 34BLEEP00XX, 18 October 2011 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

You are busy with software :).

I suggest uninstalling Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, and ZA...you can use MS Security Essentials, the Windows firewall, and SUPERAntiSpyware and achieve at least the same, if not better results in protecting your system.

I have used HDTune before...it's a decent program for what it does...but it is not analogous to chkdsk /r.

The chkdsk /r function reviews/sorts out the file system and checks for certain hardware problems which result in Windows malfunctioning. Chkdsk /r is NOT better than the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...when it comes to resolving hard drive issues. evem though many users think of it in that capacity.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

On the other hand, HDTune is one of many programs which is only concerned with the physical aspects of the hard drive...no concern at all for file system (NTFS/FAT) or what may be the contents of the file system.

I suggest making the changes I have mentioned...then running the chkdsk /r command. If the command cannot complete or is halted by some situation that it cannot handle, it will display an onscreen error message. If that occurs, write such down exactly...and post it here.

I would also suggest that it probably won't hurt your system if you run defrag if all goes well with the chkdsk /r.

Louis

#3 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hamluis:

I have windows security essentials,AVAST! antivrus and Emsisoft anti-malware free edition.
I don't have ZONEALARM anymore because AVAST! locks it up.

Is this thing safe to do:
First run CMD shell then run Chkdsk. Is it safe?

#4 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Chkdsk founded these errors: :woot:
These are translated from finnish windows system.
CHDDSK FOUNDED FREE SPACE MARKED RESERVED AT MAIN FILE TABLE BITMAP.
CHKDSK FOUNDED FREE SPACE MARKED RESERVED AT DISK BITMAP.
WINDOWS DETECTED ERROR AT FILE SYSTEM. :crazy:

Can these errors cause my boot problems?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

It would seem that running two AV programs...might be your "problem", please uninstall either Avast or or MSE, your choice. I would keep MSE myself.

After the uninstall, run the chkdsk /r command.

Please...pay no attention to the results onscreen after chkdsk /r completes. If chkdsk runs into a problem...it will either stop and display an onscreen error message with plenty of detail...or it will indicate that it cannot continue.

Any other problem that it comes to...it will try to correct. It's pointless to look at the detail of what was fixed, IMO.

Some like to look at such detail for evidence of hard drive problems...I prefer to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic if I suspect such.

The file system...is NTFS...and it is not uncommon for chkdsk /r to correct problems with such, as best as it can. If you have a file system problem which chkdsk /r cannot cope with...it will flash an onscreen message indicating such...and probably stop trying to fix it or complete the chkdsk /r mission.

The last function performed by chkdsk /r involves checking free space on the partition/drive. Nothing unusual there.

Louis

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users