Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS/internet connection problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adam E-W

Adam E-W

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

My internet connection has been intermittently stopping on my computer for the last couple of weeks. It will work fine for a few hours, and then I will start seeing error messages that say "The DNS lookup failed". At the same time, my wireless connections icon in the system tray will sometimes have a yellow exclamation point warning me of no connectivity, and sometimes not - regardless of whether that's there, though, the connection no longer works. Normally I'll be able to connect for a couple of hours per day, roughly, before this problem kicks in.

There's no discernible pattern to times of the day/week as to when it does or doesn't work. My flatmate has no problems with his connections through his desktops.

(Incidentally, and much less pressingly, I've also struggled to connect to the iTunes store - if this is a related problem that is solved in a similar way please let me know.)

So far I have tried:
- flushing the DNS cache
- setting my IP to an OpenDNS address
- connecting through an Ethernet cable rather than WiFi
- virus scans
- restarting computer and router - which sometimes works, but only for a few minutes
- connecting to other networks (e.g. in a Starbucks - same problem)

My computer is Packard Bell, Windows 7, EasyNote TK87 2.53GHz.

Many thanks,
Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zep516

zep516

• Security Colleague
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

See if this exercise has any effect.

Windows 7 and Vista

From the Start menu, select Control Panel, or Settings and then Control Panel.Double-click Network and Sharing Center.

From the list of tasks on the left, click Change adapter settings (in Windows 7), or Manage network connections (in Vista).

For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.

For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.

From the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties.

Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

#3 Adam E-W

Adam E-W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks zep516. I've done that - no effect.

Two things:
1) My original post about setting the IP address to an OpenDNS gateway - my mistake, I meant setting the DNS gateway. (Have tried it both obtaining DNS info automatically and setting it to a specific number - same effect.)

2) Yesterday, I was working from home without any problems until pretty late in the evening - problems do seem to come up more often later in the evening, though that may simply be that I'm using my laptop more often at that time.

Adam

#4 zep516

zep516

• Security Colleague
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

2) Yesterday, I was working from home without any problems until pretty late in the evening - problems do seem to come up more often later in the evening, though that may simply be that I'm using my laptop more often at that time.

See that sounds like a possible Internet Service Provider issue, but you also indicated you have the same issue at starbucks witch would indicate a computer problem.

Wonder if up-dating the Wireless Adapter would help if there is an up-date available for it.

Here's 1 more little code for you most you have already done. Give it a shot.

Copy and paste the text in the code box below into Notepad.
@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0
Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Note: For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator".

See if that helps. If not maybe a more advanced Network person can chime in.

#5 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Hello,

do you know exactly what wireless network card you have in your notebook? I checked the hp website and there is about 15 different drivers that go to about 4 different manufacturers. HPdrivers

it could possibly be a driver issue, I would uninstall the driver then run unknown devices Here
find out exactly what wireless network adapter you have and install the appropriate drivers for your device.

#6 Adam E-W

Adam E-W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

OK, been online for the last couple of days after reinstalling the driver with no obvious problems. Might be back if necessary but I think/hope it's fixed - thanks!

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users