Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 balzzy

balzzy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

Sorry I'm not very computer literate. I have three computers in my small office I am trying to network. They are all Dell's and running XP home. One computer won't allow access to the others, while the other two connect fine. I thougt it might be firewall related and on the computer that won't connect, my Mcafee firewall says it is being controlled by group policy and is denying file sharing. I read someplace that group policy only effects XP Pro, so I'm really confused. I am sure it's XP home and it does say Group Policy is in effect on the one computer.

Can anyone be so kind as to tell me how I can change or delete this group policy setting unless you don't think that's my problem. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

I don't understand the workings of Group Policies but I've done a google on their application to XP Home and some of the stuff sounds relevant...

Q1. Does everything work the way you want it when you disable the McAfee firewall?
Q2. Are you logged in to the problem computer as Administrator?
Q3. Do all the PC's have the 'Guest' account enabled (I think they are by default in XP Home)?
Q4. Is the Windows Firewall turned off?

This article may apply to your problem (backup the registry as it says before making any changes!):
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetfwpol.htm

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:12 AM

something simple, have you tried to do the "set up a home or small office network" wizard in "my network places"? this is automated and designed for MS operating systems.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users