Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost a drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jackngwen2004

jackngwen2004

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hello, I would like to know how to Ghost a new drive and make it the Master drive while changing the old drive to the slave drive. I have purchased a new drive and installed it into my computer. I looked through the tutorials and I think I may have found one concerning this subject. Can anyone verify this or advise me as to how this is done. I am an average computer user so help will be really appreciated. Thank you for your time. JP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:03 AM

I don't use Ghost, I use Acronis True Image - but the process should be the same. Create an image of the old drive, restore it to the new drive, swap cables on the drives so the new drive is the primary and reboot.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

Any cloning program...will make an exact copy of your current hard drive...on your new drive...provided you follow the instructions for using said software to clone/copy a drive.

I use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm with confidence and no negative results...but there are tons of other cloning programs available for review...by using Google with the phrase "hard drive cloning".

Louis

#4 jackngwen2004

jackngwen2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

Hello Hamluis, Thank you for the excellent tip on Ghosting a Drive. Everything is set to go but I still have one question you may be able to help me with. I am installing a 1 TB HD but the old HD is 250 GB. I see the "Upgrade Disk" feature and have started to use it but ran into the "Edit the Drive". It says to resize the partitions. I am an everyday user but do not get into anything fancy and do not work much with pictures etc... I would like to hear your recomendations on how big to make the partitions. I don't really understand exactly what I will be doing by selecting a size but I do want to get it right. I appreciate your help and thank you for your time and efforts. Jack

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

In essence...it really doesn't matter what size is initially selected for a partition or drive (IMO)...because such can be changed later by the user.

I will say that...if I were cloning a drive, I initially just go with the partition/drive size on the drive I am cloning. I use multiple partitions and my C: drive for Windows XP is never more than 30GB, while the total drive size may vary.

You haven't told us anything about the system or the method used to install Windows...and the old drive may be using hidden partitions for system or restore/recovery files...so I would just clone the entire drive, as it currently exists.

You can later used Disk Management or appropriate software...to create any additional partitions you like on the larger drive.

Louis

#6 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Depending on how your old hard drive is configured - you may need to set the jumpers on the hard drive for master/slave or cable select. I have found with some drives you have to tinker with it to make sure that both drives are seen by the BIOS and that they show up in the right order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users