Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Basic features suddenly customized or uninstalled

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HeliDmitry

HeliDmitry

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:14 AM

I have a netbook running Windows 7 Starter, and then all of a sudden some features/devices were disabled, or I don't know...uninstalled?

There's a distinct look for the Windows 7 taskbar, right? Well, when I turned the computer on, this was what the taskbar looked like:Attached File  taskbar.jpg   9.59KB   2 downloads

It began looking like Windows XP or something. I tried checking the Color Management Settings but all it did was change the color, not the theme (you know, that circle start button)
But the Start Menu was the same Windows 7 Menu, only that it had a different theme:
Attached File  startMenu.jpg   35.95KB   2 downloads

The windows looked like this instead of the smooth and semi-transparent window look in Win 7:
Attached File  myComputer.jpg   72.78KB   2 downloads

What surprised me was that the Audio was somehow disabled...or uninstalled...When I tried right clicking that audio icon in the taskbar, it asked me to install an audio device, since it was detecting some sort of problem in the audio:
Attached File  detectingAudio.jpg   18.72KB   1 downloads

Attached File  detectedAudio.jpg   31.47KB   1 downloads

I thought those were the only things that changed, so I went on with my work. But when I opened a spreadsheet in Windows Excel and tried to Print Preview, it gave me this:
Attached File  printer1.jpg   17.56KB   2 downloads
Attached File  printer2.jpg   37.77KB   3 downloads

I wish I could tell you more details about it, but I just can't describe what happened. I don't even know what happened...maybe I tweaked the computer settings by accident and then made the changes after it rebooted. And by the way, the network settings were also somewhat configured, says I'm not connected to anything (well in fact I have a fully functional broadband radio connected).

Please help me bring back the old features. I would really appreciate it. :busy:

Edited by HeliDmitry, 18 October 2011 - 04:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

You need to download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Drivers for Audio, Video, Networking, and other probably.

If you don't know how to do this, provide the make and model of the netbook in your next post.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see this:

Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to all panes so they expand, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

If you have no internet connection on the problem PC, transferring the screenshot via flashdrive or CD to a working computer is possible. If this is not practical for you, a detailed listing of the requested information will suffice, along with reports of any ! ? or X's next to the entries.

Edited by TheShooter93, 18 October 2011 - 11:18 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users