Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless card in my desktop (ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo), and it won't connect to wireless networks. The little balloon pops up and say there are networks within range, but I click it and it says there aren't any in range. I've re-installed the drivers, moved it to different PCI slots, and it still doesn't work. I know the card's good because it works in my dad's computer. The little ACT led on the back is on, but very dim. For a while before it failed, the wireless tray icon would always show "acquiring IP address", but it was already connected. Then it would show the "Connection Failed" icon, but was connected. Yesterday, it just randomly quit, and I noticed the process WMP54G.exe/dll (can't remember which) wasn't running. I can't seem to find anything with this name using search. Anyone know what's going on? Anything in services.msc I might have killed? I don't really want to spend another 30-50 bucks getting a new card (my parents are against internet shopping).

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Check and see if the computer is on the right WorkGroup.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

Yup. Right group.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

A similar problem happened a while back with my laptop. I reinstalled XP to fix that. I tried a dirty install on my desktop, but it didn't help. System Restore just doesn't restore, either.

Everest sees a "Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Network Adapter" instead of a Linksys card...Could that be a problem?

I can't seem to find drivers on the Broadcom site.

EDIT: I got myself an external HDD, so I'll probably just re-install again. If that doesn't work, it might be time for a new mobo (PCI failure?). Or, more cheaply, 100' of ethernet cable.

Edited by Lanscader, 28 January 2006 - 07:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users