Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall+Anti[virus,keylogger,rootkit,spyware] for Android tablets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Googled all over, can't find an answer because on almost every link or forum when this question is discussed it invariably turns into a discussion of what people use on smart phones. Or the usual myths about Android is oh, so safe, safe just like the Mac and Linux and whatever they claim.

Given that there is NO OPERATING SYSTEM on Earth THAT's SAFE, I post this. Let's start with ...

Subject: A tablet that is NOT a smart or dumb phone, uses only Wi-Fi, runs Google's Android 3.1, needs something other than a built-in, default, blanket permission to connect everywhere it wants (facebook, twitter, scumware, trojans...), some of it behind your back, and can download a ton of free applications full of little ads from the Android Marketplace (many of which are sooooo cooool :)).

Any suggestions? Any places to look?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

Here's a good start...Noscript Firefox security extension goes mobile

POPULAR FIREFOX SECURITY EXTENSION Noscript has been released for Android and Maemo builds, giving users of these two mobile operating systems access to a web browser security feature comparable to that available to desktop computer users.

Edited by Union_Thug, 18 October 2011 - 05:06 AM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Don't have an Android, but an iPad. But something you should also consider for your privacy & security: whenever I need to connect to public WiFi, I always use VPN.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

I don't have Firefox. Never learned to use it on Windows, unlikely to learn now. Opera is my favorite, but Opera mobile does not have site-specific settings. Yikes. Built in browser is very nice, but everything is global - you allow all cookies for all sites, or you don't, you allow javascripts for all or you dont. Not very nice really.

VPN is something I'm familiar with from work. That hooks me up to work.
But how would that work from home equipment? I can't have my computer running all day - I got timeouts on it so I think that would not work.

I've done some searching. It's a sad picture for me. Far as I can tell, all that google Android phone and tablet stuff is most insecure (iPad/iPhone might be slightly better). There are no firewalls, and only few stripped down antivirus products. Looking in the router log at home I see all those connections happening which normally a firewall in Windows would block, no Hosts file, no admin rights to install a hosts file, there are popups - golly, I haven't seen a popup in years, I forgot they exist! ... bottom line - any thought of storing contacts or mail would be insane, so it's just cool for kids games and careful browsing. Just my 2cents to a problem without a likely solution. They want us to share and communicate with everything imaginable and I don't.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

VPN is something I'm familiar with from work. That hooks me up to work.
But how would that work from home equipment? I can't have my computer running all day - I got timeouts on it so I think that would not work.

If you don't want a VPN server running at home (be it on your computer or on a network device), you can always buy a subscription from commercial VPN service providers. There are plenty on the Internet. Then you just have to configure your VPN client to connect to the VPN server that was assigned to you by the VPN service provider.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

Actually, I just remembered you use an Android tablet. There is a Tor client for Android: www.torproject.org/docs/android.html.en

But Tor is much slower than your usual VPN.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users