Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wireless Internet Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcgahey13

mcgahey13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

Ok here is what is happening. My school recently all received laptops. Everyone in the school gets one. Well i wanted to get wireless internet at my house so i went out and bought a lynksys broadband router. I set it up and everything and it seems to work. Well when i go on my laptop the connection shows up and i click connect to it. It connects just fine. It says connection is strong and the speed is 54mbps. Well when i try to access the internet it just says "the page cannott be displayed." My friend is also having the exact same problem at his house. I heard somewhere that i had to go to lan settings and uncheck the box next to: use a proxy server... blah blah blah. Well i tried that and it still did not work. Does anybody know what is going on. My computer is connected but the internet cannot be accessed. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 geokarjo

geokarjo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

I prefer using a proxy server it prohibits unauthorized use. What kind of internet connection are you using your provider may have supplied an installation Disc that would help with the installation and connection of the service. If you have done this.

From the cable box to the router you want to be in the wan port unless you are using a twisted Cat5 cable.

Edited by geokarjo, 26 January 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#3 mcgahey13

mcgahey13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

the linksys is connected to charter dsl

#4 geokarjo

geokarjo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

Do you have the charter setup disk.

#5 mcgahey13

mcgahey13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

im not sure why

#6 geokarjo

geokarjo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

The chater set up disk will assign automatically the ip address for the charter server and also tell you what is wrong with your connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users