Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista box behaving bizarrely...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cyberhelp

cyberhelp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

I was working on a Vista Home box today that was doing very strange things and would love some suggestions. When I started, the box had McAfee on it, which I removed and replaced with MSE. The box only has one user who is an admin. When ANYTHING (including files I am POSITIVE are clean) is downloaded with IE9 it is reported as infected and will not download/save. Even if I disable OR REMOVE MSE COMPLETELY this still occurs, making downloading anything quite difficult. I subsequently installed Firefox, and found that all files downloaded with Firefox would briefly appear in the download folder, and would then disappear. In FF I went into about:config and disabled downloaded file scanning, after which I could dowload file in FF with no problem.
So, what is telling this system that every downloaded file is infected? This even occurs when there is no AV installed. And just as an added bonus, I have run up to date MSE, Malewarebytes, and Superantispyware on the system to no avail...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cyberhelp

cyberhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Some folks in another forum have suggested Windows Defender as a possible explanation for this behavior. I had forgotten that WD is not completely replaced by MSE in Vista, like it is with Win7. When I get back to that box I will look for this as a possible explanation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users