Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Reinstalling a Missing Driver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pepperbc

pepperbc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

Recently I had a rather bad virus. I just managed to get rid of it, only to find that my computer was somehow missing a ASUS ACPI driver. I have an Asus Eee PC netbook. I plugged in my external CD drive and hoped to use the operating system disc to reinstall the driver. I did so, but when I tried to restart my computer, it refused to do so, even in Safe Mode. Eventually, the blue screen came up and told me that in order to restart my computer, I would need to uninstall the driver that I had just installed via Safe Mode. As I've already mentioned, I couldn't open Safe Mode. Eventually I had the idea to unplug my external CD drive, thinking that this might affect it. It did; I was able to reboot my computer with ease. However, I'm still missing this driver, and this is preventing me from having any audio or going online (unless this isn't because of the missing driver and my computer has other problems that I don't know about). Whenever I try to plug in my external CD drive again, in an attempt to reopen my disc and rerun the diagnosis program on it, my computer immediately flashes the blue screen too quickly for me to read it, and then shuts down. I don't know why my computer is apparently blocking my CD drive; it makes no sense.
I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone could give me concerning this problem!!!
(By the way, I hope that I posted this under the right section of the forum. I wasn't quite sure which category my problem falls under. If I'm wrong, I would be thankful if someone would redirect me to the right section.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

I wonder if there is also an online support for that driver by the manufacturing site. That way you could just use a flash drive to copy from another working machine and install it on your computer without having to use any external CD drive.

Tekken

#3 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thank you very much! I'm one step closer to solving my problem.
I did find online support for the driver and was able to copy it. When I try to install it, though, I keep getting the message "Download Failed! resolving hostname." Troubleshooting told me to check if my .Net Framework was updated. It is, so now I'm not sure what the problem is...

#4 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

I think that I might need an Internet connection in order to be able to download the driver...unfortunately, my icon for Wireless Internet Connection has disappeared. I can't even find it when I go to Device Manager. In fact, when I go to Device Manager I see literally NOTHING!!! I really don't understand this...
I'm worried that the only way to access the Internet is through that driver, which I don't think I can download until I have the Internet...
Please, do you know of anything else that I can try??

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

"Download Failed! resolving hostname

Where is this error from? I do not think its from any ACPI driver and needing internet connection to install. Where are you downloading the driver and what is your computer model?

Tekken

#6 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

This error is from trying to download Driver Finder, a device made by Asus to help repair and update its drivers. When I try to install it, that is what comes up. I've also found a thing called Driver Performer, which is supposed to do the same but when I try to install it it states simply that it cannot find an Internet connection.
I have downloaded these from:
http://performersoft.com/dr.php?brand=Updated&gclid=CJW2ofid86sCFcdrKgodmWgzpQ
http://driverfinderpro.com/support-drivers.php?id=asus
Since I had to use my flash drive to get it to my computer, I thought that maybe it wasn't working due to the Internet not running. I couldn't figure out any other reason for getting that message.
My computer model is: Eee PC 1005 Series (1005HA/1005HAB) Windows XP Edition
I'm sorry if my last post didn't make much sense, I was rather tired and frustrated when I wrote it.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

Do not ever use any driver manager to give you any missing drivers or updates. Go directly to the manufacturing support site and manually choose from the list, download and then install. If it requires to reboot after installation, click Yes. Follow this link and read the online instruction - http://support.asus.com/download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Tekken

#8 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Ok, I downloaded the drivers onto my flash drive and then installed them onto my computer. Then I restarted. But installing the driver did absolutely nothing. My computer is still telling me that I do not have an ACPI driver.
However, on my list of programs I do have one.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

preventing me from having any audio or going online

ACPI is for power management. Do you see any marks or flags on your device manager specifically from the quotes above? Let us leave ACPI first. If you have yellow marks on network and sound controllers then you are missing the drivers otherwise state clearly what you mean no sound and no internet connection. The link provided will give you the necessary drivers for the network and sound.

Tekken

#10 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

When I go to my device manager I literally see nothing at all; so I don't know if I have yellow marks by my network and sound controllers. While I didn't get any warnings about audio or Internet connection drivers being gone like I have with my ACPI driver, my computer does think that I have no speakers. I assumed this was caused by a missing/damaged driver. Am I wrong? I have not been able to find my Internet connection and I can't get the "Wireless Internet Connection" icon to come up in my Start Menu so that I can look for my network or in my lower left corner where all the icons are (sorry for the not very technical language there, don't what the exact term for that is). Even when I press FN+F2, which according to my computer's manual is supposed to put the icon back if it's disappeared, doesn't have any effect.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

You have a netbook and you had malware problems...probably the best thing to do would be to use the restore-to-factory-default option provided by the system manufacturer, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2011 - 07:19 AM.

#12 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thank you for your help!
Two questions:
1) How do I do this?
2) Do I need to back up all of my files before I do this?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

The manufacturer of your system...provides instructions on what restore/recovery mechanisms exist...and how to use such.

That info should be at the Asus website support page for your system, if not in the user manual for the system.

Louis

#14 pepperbc

pepperbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

Thank you both so much for all your help!!!
It's fixed!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users