Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 live4snow

live4snow

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hi there. This is my second time here. Last time you guys were a real help so hopefully all of you tech savy people out there can help me again.

When I try to start up my laptop (Compaq Presario R3000, XP, 3.06 Intel) it goes through the loading screen and then just turns off. When I try to turn it back on again it tells me Windows was shut down improperly and asks me how I want it started up again, Safe Mode, Safe with command prompt, safe with networking, start with last known settings that worked, or start normally. I have tried each of these but to no avail. There is no set time to when the computer fails, sometimes I get to the password screen and sometimes its only 10 seconds into the startup. It does this with the charger plugged in as well as when the charger is out.

I hope I explained this well enough. I searched for similar problems and one solution was to clean the dust and everything from the fans and such and I did this but it didnt work.

A friend told me that his computer used to do this and he got a cd put into the computer and fixed it. However I have no clue what was on the cd, he said some tech came to his house and did it.

Thanks for your help guys. I really dont want to pay HP 317 dollars for them to erase all of my information.

-John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:16 AM

If you can I'd build the UBCD4Win this gives you a working mini OS based on XP see site for full details on building. If you can get the CD to boot in the laptop it's a software problem XP repair install may solve the problem, please be aware that in doing this you will need to reapply all the latest MS updates again.

If the CD fails to boot and shuts down like windows then it's likely to be a hardware problem in the laptop and you may need to seek professional advice.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

Your friend is probably talking about a repair installation of Windows XP. Here's the directions for it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

It's a bit different with a Compaq tho' - it may be called something like a non-destructive recovery or some such thing.

Here's a link on how to try System Restore (which I don't have a lot of faith in): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=c00034790#N626

And here's a link to the software guide. You'll find the repair info on page 4-14: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00090109.pdf

Repairing the Operating System
To repair the operating system without deleting your
personal data:
1. Insert the Operating System Recovery CD (included with the
notebook) into the optical drive.
2. Turn off the notebook using the standard Windows shutdown
procedure. If the notebook is unresponsive:
a. If the notebook is running Windows XP Professional,
press ctrl+alt+del. Select Shut down from the drop-down
list, and then select OK.
b. If the notebook is running Windows XP Home or does
not respond to ctrl+alt+del, press and hold the power
button for 5 seconds.
3. Turn on the notebook by briefly pressing the power button.
If the Operating System Recovery CD does not open after
several minutes, the boot order settings on your notebook
might have been changed from the default settings. For
information about changing boot order settings, refer to the
Boot Menu in the “Configuring Your Notebook” section in
this chapter.
4. When prompted, press any key to boot from CD. (After a
few minutes, the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed.)
5. Press enter to continue. (A Licensing Agreement screen is
displayed.)
6. Press F8 to accept the agreement and continue. (The Setup
window is displayed.)
7. Press R to repair the selected Windows installation. (The
repair process begins.)
After the repair process is complete, which might take a
few hours, the notebook restarts in Windows.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 live4snow

live4snow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Well guys, I've tried all of these and still nothing works. Im kind of getting mad at this thing...makes me wish I got a desktop instead. But thanks for your tips guys. I guess it is some sort of hardware problem but I have no clue what piece. Any ideas?

-John

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

Have you noticed it getting hot lately? You can find the ports where the fan blows out and intakes and blow canned air through it to clear it out. Dust bunnies in there would overheat the processor very quickly. Most laptops have heat pipes running through the machine to the processor and would be easy to clog. That's one place where you can start, anyway.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

Some Compaqs have a restore partition accessed through the bios screen.

Boot your computer watching carefully for "Enter Setup", usually tapping the del key but sometimes other keys depending on the manufacturer.

See if it then gives you the option to restore Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users