Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps freezing when starting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomturtle

tomturtle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hello everyone. I was hoping to get some help on a very frustrating problem with my computer. I'm not sure where the problem is originating but it could be from the operating system but I'm certainly not sure so I hope this is the proper place for my issue. I have a Dell Inspiron N7070 icore 5 laptop (17" screen) that I've had for about 10 months. Within the last 2-3 weeks, the computer started having problems starting. At first it happened a couple of times but after kicking into Startup repair (which itself never has repaired the issue) and shutting it down via on/off button, it would eventually come back up. Then it just froze and wouldn't start at all in my home environment. My brother works in IT for an organization and I asked him to take a look at it which he did. He first restored it to it's original state through the Dell Backup program at his house but when I brought it back to my house it immediately froze in the same way (the process starts but just gets hung up). I had an older router (G series) and he suspected that the problem might be related to that but when I got a new router (n series) the same thing happened when he repeated a restore process and brought it back to my house. It did actually reach the user choices a couple times but froze from there when trying to connect to the wireless system. Next he restored it again but this time used a restore image program (Acronis True Image 2012)and once again it worked perfectly at his place. We first took it to a different environment (Panera) to try to do a wireless connect but it got hung up there before it could connect. We did another restore image via Acronis and it worked fine in the Panera. However, when I took it home immediately afterward, it once again got hung up after starting and I had to do another restore image with the Acronis and it worked like a charm after that. When I turned it on this morning, it froze once again while starting and I once again proceeded to do another restore image with the Acronis program and it worked fine. What is going on here....why does it keep freezing in different environment or after certain durations of time? Is there some problem with Windows 7 when it initially tries to connect or is it something else perhaps corruption in the drivers? I also should state that we ran Malware Bytes and it was clean after it was restored. In addition, I should also mention that almost from the beginning this laptop had a tendency to freeze at certain times usually if left unattended for awhile (while still on) or when put in sleep or hibernation mode but until recently (as stated above) it never froze when starting up. Could there be a connection between all these glitches noticed from the start? I'd really appreciate some advice and possible solutions to this vexing problem. Thanks so much in advance!!

Edited by tomturtle, 17 October 2011 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

I will tell you already there are really only two suggestions about what's going on there.

One: The restore image is corrupted or has a virus in it - probably unlikely, you've restored multiple different ways (Dell Backup, Acronis Restore, Dell Factory Restore) and all have the same result.

Two: Hardware failure. I'll be honest, this is more likely the case. Without further troubleshooting I wouldn't be guaranteed, but your descriptions tell me that software issues should not be the case.

Have you tried just using the Dell Restore system that came built-in to the system, instead of the backup/acronis solutions? That might be something Dell will demand you have done before they do any hardware service on this relatively new laptop.

Work fast, because I don't know specifically the length of time of warranty on Dells (could be 1 year, could be 3 year) but you should get this taken care of soon.

Good luck.

#3 tomturtle

tomturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

I will tell you already there are really only two suggestions about what's going on there.

One: The restore image is corrupted or has a virus in it - probably unlikely, you've restored multiple different ways (Dell Backup, Acronis Restore, Dell Factory Restore) and all have the same result.

Two: Hardware failure. I'll be honest, this is more likely the case. Without further troubleshooting I wouldn't be guaranteed, but your descriptions tell me that software issues should not be the case.

Have you tried just using the Dell Restore system that came built-in to the system, instead of the backup/acronis solutions? That might be something Dell will demand you have done before they do any hardware service on this relatively new laptop.

Work fast, because I don't know specifically the length of time of warranty on Dells (could be 1 year, could be 3 year) but you should get this taken care of soon.

Good luck.

Yes, we tried the Dell restore system the first time and the same thing happened.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

If you have not voided the warranty or expired, contact Dell for a replacement. While waiting, try testing the status of the hard drive and run a diagnostic test. You could also try booting to safemode if it freezes or hangs at one point.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users