Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on a DIY PC bundle

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

I found a site that sells DIY PC bundles(links below), but they all include Radeon graphics cards. I've used GeForce cards in my two previous PC's, so I'm unfamiliar with Radeon cards. I've read that Radeon is more powerful, but can't run some games, while GeForce is compatible with all games. I'll go for Radeon if you think these builds are good enough. I separated the sections with quotes, because I thought it would be clearer. Is it working?

Here are the three that I'm considering.
The site is in Norwegian, but that doesn't matter. You can see the list of components when you scroll down.

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=486145
A few buyers reported problems with this one. It kept turning itself off. They changed some BIOS settings to fix it. CPU Enhanced Halt, CPU thermal monitor and C3/C6/C7 State Support. I don't know what any of that means, but I'll be able to figure it out if I buy this one.

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=620613
No notes about this one.

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=601364
This one had very good reviews. There was one guy who said he could run two copies of Crysis 2, at the same, at max settings without lag.
I'm wondering why this one is cheaper than the others, when it can perform so well. I really want to buy this one, because of the price, but most of all, I want a machine that will last for a long time.

I'm leaning towards the AMD Phenom II X6, since I have to buy a monitor, speakers and mouse and keyboard on top of this. Also, I don't think the bundles include network cards, so, that too.

Now, for the other parts that I need. I'm gonna put them here so you can see if they're compatible. Because, I have no idea.

The monitor. This is the cheapest available on this site.

Mouse and keyboard. They have this "Unifying" thing that let's me use only one USB port for both of them. So, that's nice.

Now, I need a network card. I gotta have a wireless card, but I might need a non-wireless* if WLAN doesn't work, for some reason.
I don't know what to get, so here's a list of wireless cards that do what I need them to do. I would appreciate it if you could help me pick one.
And here's a list of non-wireless* ones.
*Is there a better word for that?

As for speakers, I found these. They got good reviews and are very cheap.

So, that's that. What do you think? Is the cheap bundle powerful enough to run future games? And what network cards should I get? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

I would get the second one mainly because it's a lot faster then all of them and is much more newer. The AMD one is cheaper because the processor itself isn't that expensive compared to Intel. The monitor is a very good choice as i have that exact model and it's great for gaming! The mouse, keyboard and speakers are perfectly fine, no need for any chnages. For the wireless card, this should do the job. The "non wireless" cards are actually called Lan cards and you do not need one of these as they are already on the motherboard itself.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would get the second one mainly because it's a lot faster then all of them and is much more newer. The AMD one is cheaper because the processor itself isn't that expensive compared to Intel.

You mean the one with the i5 processor? But, the AMD has six cores. I've read that Intel processors are more powerful, but one reviewer said that he could run two copies of Crysis 2 without lag on the AMD.
Well, Intel has always worked well for me. So, if I go for i5, which is more expensive, wouldn't it be a better idea to get the i7, instead? It has less RAM, but more cores. Which is better i5 8GB RAM or i7 6GB RAM?

The monitor is a very good choice as i have that exact model and it's great for gaming! The mouse, keyboard and speakers are perfectly fine, no need for any chnages.

Excellent! I really liked those!

For the wireless card, this should do the job. The "non wireless" cards are actually called Lan cards and you do not need one of these as they are already on the motherboard itself.

Oh, good! That saves me a bit of money.
Are you sure about that card? There were cheaper ones with better reviews. One guy said that this card gave him bluescreens 2-3 times a week. This was the error message he got:
Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP:0X000000D1 A3AB.SYS - F6E3CF18 Base F6DD5000 DateStamp 4240DFCC

Is he right? Do you know for sure if this one will work properly?

Thanks in advance.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Yes, i mean the core i5 one. Technically, the i5-2500K is faster then the Phenom II 1055T in most cases. No need to run 2 copies of Crysis 2 at once and the Intel can probably do the same thing. The i7 from the first one is the 1st generation model and it is not that fast compared to the 2500K which is the 2nd generation, i wouldn't worry to much about the ram. That only happen to that persons computer, you can't really predict if it will happen until you try the card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Yes, i mean the core i5 one. Technically, the i5-2500K is faster then the Phenom II 1055T in most cases. No need to run 2 copies of Crysis 2 at once and the Intel can probably do the same thing. The i7 from the first one is the 1st generation model and it is not that fast compared to the 2500K which is the 2nd generation, i wouldn't worry to much about the ram.

I see. i5 it is, then! I also talked to a friend about 20 minutes ago. He agreed on the i5.

That only happen to that persons computer, you can't really predict if it will happen until you try the card.

Yes, I suppose. The site doesn't seem to say anything about the ranges on the wireless cards. I need a long range, so I'm gonna Google each card and see what I can find.

Thank you very much for your help!

EDIT: I forgot to ask: Is the graphics card good? I won't need to change it in a year? I'm clueless on graphics cards.

Edited by Mcwierdo, 18 October 2011 - 08:47 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

All of those PC's use the Radeon 6950, which is part of AMD's high performance graphics cards. A general rule with current AMD graphics card numbering is this, the first number, in this case the 6 in 6950 indicates the series, in this case, the Radeon 6000 line. The second number, the 9 in 6950 determines the market it is aimed at. Typically, the 9's are the high end gaming and enthusiast models, the 8's are the upper mainstream models, with the 7's as the lower. Anything below that is the low-end market. The next two numbers, in this case the 50 in 6950, further breaks down the card segments. The 50 isn't the best, the 70 cards are. If the last two numbers are 90, those are dual graphics cards which have two GPU's on one circuit board. The number scheme with previous Radeon models follows the same pattern, however, the 58xx, 48xx, etc. models being the high end, 57xx and 47xx being mid range. AMD's new Radeon 7000 series should be out at the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012. Usually, I prefer to skip a series before upgrading.

As for the processor and graphics card in regards to gaming, most games are GPU bound, relying more heavily on the GPU than the CPU. This often means that most people do not need very high performance CPU's to get great results with gaming.

3939.png

#7 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

All of those PC's use the Radeon 6950, which is part of AMD's high performance graphics cards. A general rule with current AMD graphics card numbering is this, the first number, in this case the 6 in 6950 indicates the series, in this case, the Radeon 6000 line. The second number, the 9 in 6950 determines the market it is aimed at. Typically, the 9's are the high end gaming and enthusiast models, the 8's are the upper mainstream models, with the 7's as the lower. Anything below that is the low-end market. The next two numbers, in this case the 50 in 6950, further breaks down the card segments. The 50 isn't the best, the 70 cards are. If the last two numbers are 90, those are dual graphics cards which have two GPU's on one circuit board. The number scheme with previous Radeon models follows the same pattern, however, the 58xx, 48xx, etc. models being the high end, 57xx and 47xx being mid range. AMD's new Radeon 7000 series should be out at the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012. Usually, I prefer to skip a series before upgrading.

As for the processor and graphics card in regards to gaming, most games are GPU bound, relying more heavily on the GPU than the CPU. This often means that most people do not need very high performance CPU's to get great results with gaming.

I didn't know that! I guess I'll wait and see what comes up. Do you think the 6000 line will decrease in price when 7000 comes out?

What about the numbering on GeForce cards? Do they work the same way?

Thanks for this very informative post!

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

The price will defiantly go down when the 7000 series are released. GeForce number works differently.

>Michael 

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

Typically, when AMD or Nvidia release their new products, the older stuff goes away. So, when the 6900 series came out, the 5900 went down in price. The price cuts can sometimes happen before the actual product is released to clear stock. For comparision in performance, the Radeon 6950 is about at the GeForce GTX 570 in terms of performance with the Radeon 6970 hovering between the GTX 570 and GTX 580. AMD usually aims to sell products at lower prices than their competitors, in this case Nvidia. If you want a GeForce GTX 580, you will probably be paying more for it than you would a Radeon 6970 with only a modest reduction in performance with the Radeon.

Nvidia's GeForce line does have a naming scheme similar to AMD's Radeon. Example, the GTX 580 is part of their 5 series, as denoted by the 5 in 580, and the higher the second set of numbers indicate the market segment. High end 5xx series GPU's go from x60 and up, mid range is from x45 to x50, and low range is x20 to x40. The "Ti" found in some current generation GeForce products doesn't really mean much, it is mostly branding.

Now, when it comes to CPU's, AMD and Intel have very different numbering schemes. AMD's is a bit simpler, especially now with the release of the new "FX" line. So, for that generation the "FX" is the series and the next four numbers determine number of cores and speed. For instance, my CPU, the FX-8150, the 8 means it is eight core, the 1 means it is a single socket CPU, those often found in consumer level parts, and the next two numbers give an indication as to the speed. Intel's numbering is a bit unusual as they have several CPU's with different naming conventions and architectures out at once. To make it simple, Celeron is low-end, Pentium is somewhat of a low-end, i3 is upper low-end/lower mid range, i5 is mid range, and i7 is high end. Breaking down the numbers that follows the name gives some indication as to the architecture and market segment it aims for. The higher the number, the faster the performance. You may also notice a "K" after some of the numbers, it means the CPU is unlocked and "X" after the name is a high performance part, both of which you will pay more for. For a time, Intel's i7 CPU's only had three numbers, again, the higher the number, the better the part. Now, with the release of Sandy Bridge, they use four digits but you can still find the older three digit models.

3939.png

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Since this is a bundle, you can't change one of the components in the bundle.

>Michael 

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Sometimes the bundles aren't worth it or buying items individually is only marginally more expensive. Regardless, that is how GPU's and CPU's get their names.

3939.png

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

These bundles aren't that bad in my opinion.

>Michael 

#13 Mcwierdo

Mcwierdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for your help! I think I know what to look for now. I'll wait until sometime next year and see what I can get then.

I will most likely be buying some kind of bundle, since I wouldn't be able to put one together myself. I might ask again here.

So, thank you very much!

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

By next year, there should bundles with the 7000 series graphics card and the Bulldozer processors.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users