Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After I install my new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 attaG1RL

attaG1RL

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hello & thank you in advance for your help! I hope this isn't an entirely obvious or dumb question-- I just want to make sure I do everything properly. :blush:

System & Hardware Specifics:

-Dell Inspiron n5010 w/Windows 7
-Western Digital HDD, model WD3200BEVT-75A23T0

Synopsis:

After a confirmed hard drive failure on my aunt's laptop, Dell delivered a brand new HDD for us to install. I will be doing the installation and will be properly grounded w/machine off & battery removed, using a nylon case open tool, and removing (& reinstalling) case & parts in recommended & meticulous order. No problem. :thumbup2:

My question:

After installing the new HDD, what steps do I need to take and in which order to get the system software installed? I have referred to the Dell setup guide provided w/the laptop, which gives instructions for restoring the operating system, but not in reference to after installing a brand new hard drive.

My aunt burned her system recovery onto 2 discs when she got the laptop, and the laptop itself came with a "Drivers and utilities" disc. Dell's website documentation said that I need to download and generate the BIOS update utility specific to the laptop's service tag, and then burn this to a separate disc to be used for the new drive as well. I am a little confused...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

~atty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

If it is the same drive I cant imagine it needing a bios update, I would say once its all back together pop in the recovery discs and boot from them and see what happens

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

You would need to visit the Dell website and put the service tag in and look at the specifics of the BIOS update to decide. If they call it optional that is one thing. If the call it recommended or critical well then read the details.

Restoring the operating system whether it is restored to a new drive or the original drive is the same process.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insN5010/en/index.htm for links to the maintenance manual.

Edited by rotor123, 17 October 2011 - 04:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

I see no need to do the BIOS update.
The restoration cd's should put the system back to an "out of the box" state.
Your Aunt will be glad that she burned those cd's when she did.
Just boot off the first one and follow the prompts. It should be straight forward but might take an hour or so to finish.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

Eyesee, if checking the bios update says urgent then I'd want to see the specifics myself. Dell has had some bios releases that needed to be updated. So has HP for that matter.

For example on some of the Toshiba Laptops the bios really needed to be updated to prevent the bios setting a bios password that was random. Toshiba was even paying for warranty on laptops that had set a bios password until the end of 2010 which was past the end of normal warranty. Part of the repair was updating to the latest bios after clearing the password. So I always like to check. If it just says something like add support for new CPUs then why bother of course.

I agree on the restore DVDs.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

I dont think it is necessary. Personally, I havent flashed a BIOS in over 15 years.
No need to do so unless you are having an issue that the BIOS update specifically addresses.

If you are just going to reinstall Windows I wouldnt do it.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

The only time you would need a BIOS update is if your changing hardware with a newer model, and then its usually only with CPUs and maybe memory. With hard drives a Bios update is virtually unheard of, especially if its the same model of hard drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 attaG1RL

attaG1RL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thank you, thank you ALL! Mega hugs.

#9 attaG1RL

attaG1RL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

A quick update: Hard drive installation and operating system restoration was a 100% success.

Once I installed the new hardware & put the machine back together, I put the first system restore disc in, booted up the system, and followed the on-screen instructions. It was a piece of cake, and no BIOS update was necessary after all.

Thank you so much for your support: thepatriot11, rotor123, and Eyesee-- you guys are awesome.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Glad you got it working!
Good Job!! :thumbsup:

We will be here if you need us in the future!

Edit: Check device manager to make sure that all the devices are functioning correctly and that the proper drivers are installed.

Edited by Eyesee, 19 October 2011 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users