Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Info From the Command Line

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 octoberWind73

octoberWind73

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hello. I'm learning ways to extract information about my computer through the command line. For example:

Operating System	$ uname -o
Kernel name		$ uname -s
Kernel release		$ uname -r
Kernel version		$ uname -v
Network node hostname	$ uname -n
CPU Info		$ more /proc/cpuinfo
PCI info		$ lspci
USB info		$ lsusb

How do I determine the Window Manager, Desktop Manager, and Desktop Environment using the command line?

I'm using Lubuntu so I am pretty sure that my WM=Openbox, my DM=lxdm, and my DE=lxde. I would love to know how to verify these in a terminal (especially if I start messing around with things like Awesome, Conky, and Tint2 in the future).

Thanks.
Compaq Presario SR1010Z (PU166AV) -- CPU: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+, 1.808GHz -- RAM: 1 x 512MB DDR-400B, 200MHz (PC3200), NOTE: 64MB used by GFX -- MOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC., K8S-LA (Salmon) -- HDD: Western Digital, 160 GB, SATA -- GFX: Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (SiS 760) -- PSU: HIPRO HP-D3057F3R, 300W -- Network: PC to 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway (Ethernet) -- OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3 -- Browser: Opera -- Anti-Virus: Avast! (free) -- Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes (free) -- Firewall: ZoneAlarm (free)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

$ env

This command should output all the requested information as well as some other useful info. More info here.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for the reply.

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
echo $UPSTART_JOB

Those commands handle the DE and DM. Apparently, there is no straightforward way to get the WM using the command-line. Although you can check if a particular WM process is running.
Compaq Presario SR1010Z (PU166AV) -- CPU: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+, 1.808GHz -- RAM: 1 x 512MB DDR-400B, 200MHz (PC3200), NOTE: 64MB used by GFX -- MOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC., K8S-LA (Salmon) -- HDD: Western Digital, 160 GB, SATA -- GFX: Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (SiS 760) -- PSU: HIPRO HP-D3057F3R, 300W -- Network: PC to 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway (Ethernet) -- OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3 -- Browser: Opera -- Anti-Virus: Avast! (free) -- Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes (free) -- Firewall: ZoneAlarm (free)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users