Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Almost done fixing System Restore virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JMartJr

JMartJr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

Greetings:

Having gotten infected with the System Restore "scare-ware," I found this wonderful site and follwed the step-by-step instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-restore

All has worked well, and I think the virus is dead, but in step 19 of 20 on the linked page, I have hit a snag. This step involves changing the desktop from the black screen that the virus switches it to, back to what it was before.

I have Windows 7 Starter on this little netbook, and unfortunately the instructions given at the link above do not cover this eventuallity: Windows 7 Starter does not want you to change the desktop away from the default, and so has no tools I can find for changing it BACK to the default.

This is not a critical issue, but it would be nice to be able to fix this. Any help appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 JMartJr

JMartJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423920.html

New thread.

Thanks for straightening this out, and patient is my middle name,

J

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Sounds good. :thumbup2:

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hello,

I found your new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423920.html but I see that you haven't followed the preparation guide linked to in your previous instructions. So, to restate in a different way:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then post them in a reply to your NEW topic not here by using the Add Reply button in that topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the post and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the reply and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Please note that I am not a member of the Malware Removal Team and will not be assisting you in removing the infection. I'm simply helping you to post the information they need in order to assist you.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 JMartJr

JMartJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

I can certainly create a bunch of extraneous logs, but as I stated above, the process listed on your website worked well and I am confident the virus has been dealt with. So the logs and scans and such will show no problems.

My only remaining problem is that the instructions for changing the "desktop" from the solid black the virus switches it to do not take into account the fact Windows 7 Starter does not have the tool to do so which the full version has.

It may be that there is no solution, or that nobody knows one, which is fine. But we're past the point where searching for the virus will accomplish anything: it's been dealt with, and many thanks to the folks who created the is=nstructions for doing so on the page linked in my original post.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

If that's the case, I'm going to delete your topic in the log forum. I'm going to notify some others that may be able to assist you.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 JMartJr

JMartJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

"If that's the case, I'm going to delete your topic in the log forum."

Well, OK by me. I only posted there as directed in this thread.

"I'm going to notify some others that may be able to assist you."

Thank you!

J

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

Windows 7 Starter is limited to what it can and cannot do, and that is you cannot change the desktop background. So step 19 will not do any good.

Please here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/windows-7-starter-top-questions - Number 3.

#10 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:51 AM

Hi JMartJr,

As cryptodan pointed out, with Windows 7 starter you're not supposed to be able to change the wallpaper, however, actually you can with a bit of tweaking.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users