Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No battery detected

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

I have a client with a strange problem. A few weeks ago she began to get a message when hovering over the battery icon in the notification area. The message is "No battery detected". I removed and re-installed the battery to no avail. On my own computer I know the battery is completely dead so whenever I use the computer I keep it plugged in and charging even though I know nothing is really happening. Can anyone give me some advice on this situation. Thanks

Richard Rein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

Check your device manager and expand Batteries. Post the information. Did you change OS?

Tekken

#4 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

The system with this problem is a Dell Inspiron 1525, 32 bit running Windows Vista Home Basic.

Upon expanding the Battery section in Device Manager, it reads:

Batteries
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

On my system which is running Windows 7, the Device Manager also says Microsoft Composite Battery but not on the system in question.

The operating system has not changed.

Edited by richierein, 18 October 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Microsoft AC Adapter

Microsoft Composite Battery is not present and most probably that is the cause. Look into your own laptop battery in device manager.

I removed and re-installed the battery to no avail

What have you reinstalled?

Tekken

#6 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

to jhayz

Please clarify your reply.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft Composite Battery

I believe all 3 should be present under laptop batteries. I have all this details under my notebook. Double check your own laptop. I saw a thread about uninstalling both ACPI and AC Adapter then rebooting and letting Windows reinstall and all 3 including Composite battery reappeared. That is why I quoted this from your post :

I removed and re-installed the battery to no avail

Cold you be more clear on this also :

No battery detected

Is there a Battery icon present on notification area?

Tekken

#8 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

1) I believe all three drivers should be installed too. How do I locate them?

2) I removed the battery and put it back in.

3) Yes. The icon is in the notification area but when I hover on it, it says 'No battery is detected'.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

See this link, a reply from MJ. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110530142650AATcWJA

Tekken

#10 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

Hi,

I followed the instructions you provided. After uninstalling Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Method Battery and scanning for hardware changes, the uninstalled driver came back but nothing else changed. The battery is still not detected. I didn't expect this to be a solution since the problem I have is quite different from the one answered. Any more suggestions?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19244345/19378926.aspx , see comments by TealThumb.

Seems to be Dell laptop issue, http://www.google.com/search?q=No+battery+detected&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en .

Louis

#12 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for your reply. On most of the systems in question regarding 'Battery not detected', the laptop still seems to work well when AC power is withdrawn. On my client's laptop the system crashes instantly without AC power. The battery in a little over one year old and it shouldn't be completely dead in such a short time. On my computer the battery is three years old and will still keep the computer operating for 2-3 minutes with no AC power. It is curious to note that almost everyone asking the question about 'Battery not detected' have Dell computers but no one provides a real solution other than purchasing a new battery. I would hate to recommend my client purchase a new battery for $135 when a brand new laptop can be bought for $450.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

turn on the laptop and press F2 when the dell logo appears.

One of the options in the bios setup is battery health. If the battery is not detected there then it isn't a software problem.F12 at boot will let you run Diagnostics to test hardware also.

Easy test you already did which is pull the power and the computer goes off. No battery operation. Test if battery or motherboard issue by borrowing a good battery if you can.

Be Aware that Dell laptops may not perform properly with non Dell batteries. Same with the AC Adapter. I've seen them fail to charge with a non Dell adapter and charge with a Dell Adapter.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users