Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Folder

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

These files are in the Java folder on the C drive. Does this mean I have older versions of Java? When I go to control panel/add remove programs, I only see one version of Java installed, which is Java6, Update 26. I know it's a huge security risk to keep older versions on there, which is why I ask. The folder names are:

jre1.6.0.03
jre1.6.0.05
jre1.6.0.07
jre6

I wasn't sure if these folders all relate to one version of Java (jre6), or whether they are separate, different older versions of Java.

Anything I should delete here? I only want the most current version of Java on my machine. Thank you.

WinXP
Security Pack (3)
MSE Antivirus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zep516

zep516

• Security Colleague
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Those are old versions of Java and should be removed, they can be a security risk. Here is a tool that I might consider using to remove all left over Java files.

Please download JavaRa from here http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=javara&filename=JavaRa.zip&use_mirror=osdnand unzip it to your desktop.

•Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program. (Windows Vista users Right-click JavaRa.exe > Select Run as Administrator)
•Click on Remove Older Versions to remove older versions of Java.

Edited by zep516, 17 October 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Those are old versions of Java and should be removed, they can be a security risk. Here is a tool that I might consider using to remove all left over Java files.

Please download JavaRa from here http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=javara&filename=JavaRa.zip&use_mirror=osdnand unzip it to your desktop.

•Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program. (Windows Vista users Right-click JavaRa.exe > Select Run as Administrator)
•Click on Remove Older Versions to remove older versions of Java.

But even if those are older versions, they are not installed/active, correct? Because my 'add/remove programs' only shows one version (the more current one) as being installed. I have major concerns, since on my last MSE scan, it detected four files, one of which was a Trojan that could execute remote code, and it did so through older versions of JAVA. I THOUGHT I had removed all older versions, but guess not, if what you are seeing are older versions. Unbelievable. Tx for link...btw.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

But even if those are older versions, they are not installed/active, correct?

Not correct basically.......You should delete ALL older versions of Java when you update to the latest version.
It is like using an older version of your Antivirus.

I think the latest version is Version 7, although many computers recognise version 6.27 or 6.28 as the latest version.
All other versions should be in Control Panel , Add / Remove and can be deleted there.
There is a chance you (or someone) may have installed earlier versions and have them hiding in My Documents.

Make sure you check both places.

Regards -

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

Wow..help all the way from Australia (I am on the West Coast of the U.S.). Thanks for your suggestions.

When I search files/folders using keyword J2SE, I find six 'hits', all apparently are 11 megabyte Windows Installer Packages (says authored by Sun Microsystems) for J2SE Runtime Environment (version 5, update 6). I have the installer package in each of the user accounts (administrator, guest, me, etc.). Can I just right click and delete those six items, or is there a more elegant/proper way to remove them from the system? If I right click and hit 'uninstall' it gives me a message that the action is valid only for products currently installed, so that old version is not actually on the system. I would still like to get rid of those installer packages, which show a creation date of 2006. Thank you.

But even if those are older versions, they are not installed/active, correct?

Not correct basically.......You should delete ALL older versions of Java when you update to the latest version.
It is like using an older version of your Antivirus.

I think the latest version is Version 7, although many computers recognise version 6.27 or 6.28 as the latest version.
All other versions should be in Control Panel , Add / Remove and can be deleted there.
There is a chance you (or someone) may have installed earlier versions and have them hiding in My Documents.

Make sure you check both places.

Regards -

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:21 AM

FWIW: Older versions should be uninstalled (using Add/Remove Programs)...before installing the latest version from the java.com website. This is all clearly explained at the java website.

There is no version 7, I just updated my java install yesterday and the only folder I reflect for java under C:\Program Files\Java...is the jre6 folder.

Louis

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

The JavaRA removal tool recommended by Zep should eliminate old versions and orphaned files.

FWIW, this is the latest version I've downloaded\installed. Have I downloaded the wrong program?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

and the only folder I reflect for java under C:\Program Files\Java...is the jre6 folder.

Same here.

FWIW, this is the latest version I've downloaded\installed. Have I downloaded the wrong program?

No, it looks like the most recent version is indeed SE 7 Update 1

Release Notes

Probably hasn't been pushed to all users just yet.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 26 October 2011 - 06:20 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

I just re-did an update and that confirmed that your picture is the exact current version.

That update is now the only one you should have on your computer.
The update you have done, from Oracle may delete the older versions, but if it has not then Delete any other Java in Add / Remove (as stated above)

Regards from Australia, and the rest of the world. We come here from all over the place -

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

"Java™ SE 7 Update 1
The full internal version number for this update release is 1.7.0_1-b08 (where "b" means "build"). The external version number is 7u1."

I think there are some misunderstandings here :).

Java distros come in various flavors.

The one needed by all users is Java Runtime Environment, which is what is downloaded if you go to the java website looking to install java. Hence the jre folder under Program Files reflecting jre6/

I've only browsed the description for Java SE and I can't really tell if it includes the same functions as Java Runtime Environment...but the two are distinctly different in updates, according to the Oracle website, with Java SE seemingly oriented toward program developers.

Louis

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

...is there a more elegant/proper way to remove them from the system?

Yes. Since they don't appear in Add/Remove as installed, you likely have "zombie" remnants of earlier versions. Run the JavaRa app as zep516 suggested, IMHO.

Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update Advisory - October 2011: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424054.html

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 October 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

@ Louis: Perhaps this will help clarify things a bit: http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/index.html

Oracle has two products that implement Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE) 7: Java SE Development Kit (JDK) 7 and Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 7.

JDK 7 is a superset of JRE 7, and contains everything that is in JRE 7, plus tools such as the compilers and debuggers necessary for developing applets and applications. JRE 7 provides the libraries, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), and other components to run applets and applications written in the Java programming language.

Hope this helps,

U_T :)

#13 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

Well, I did that (ran JAVARA), and on a subsequent search I still find lots of JAVA related files, some of which are named as previous (older) versions. As I said, I found windows installer packages for an older version of JAVA on all the user accounts, so JAVARA did not detect those. These were installer packages only, not actually installed ON my system, but I still do not want even the installer package on there. I right clicked and deleted them, but they are still in the recycle bin, so I could always restore, if someone here thinks I should not have deleted th installer packages in that fashion.

I will find a ton more JAVA related files when I keyword search files and folders for JRE (last time I just searched J2RE). Of course I would not want to get rid of the current version JAVA files (7, update 1), but all the other files, yes, I would like to get rid of them.

It's a mystery to me why, given the ubiquity and necessity of JAVA, the developers did not automate the removal process of older versions at time of upgrades. So many other programs do this, because the average computer user is NOT a developer, and I will wager at least half of users are not even aware that older versions left on their systems create serious security risks.

It's possible I did not run JAVARA correctly, so I will try that again.

...is there a more elegant/proper way to remove them from the system?

Yes. Since they don't appear in Add/Remove as installed, you likely have "zombie" remnants of earlier versions. Run the JavaRa app as zep516 suggested, IMHO.

Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update Advisory - October 2011: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424054.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users