Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Not Deleting, being renamed, overwritten etc.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Davidian

Davidian

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

Since upgrading to win 7 64bit I've had a problem where the odd file wont delete.
It's not saying its in use by the system or anything like that... it just wont delete, be renamed, or be moved.

I can only think of one example right now, and that's a WAV file.

I buy music online in WAV format for mixing.

I put them all in a folder called "new choons" at which point I run Mixed In Key on them to get their KEY - it renames the files to include the Key at the end of the file name

From there I put it in their appropriate genre folders in my WAV folder, leaving the new choons folder clear.

I have even tried deleting or renaming the new choons folder but it wont do it.

any time I open the folder indexing tries to run on it forever.

It is very frustrating, and I was wondering if anyone could help

When i press delete, the window comes up "preparing to delete" and stays there for ages.

I also think this might be the reason why wmpntwk is constnatly using 25% of my processor.
If I didn't use my PC to stream stuff to my PS3 I would just stop that process from starting, but I store most of my DVD's and music on my HD and then play them throug that way.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

First: Try stopping the WMP sharing service and delete the files. It may be that the files are in use by the service.
Second: If that doesn't get you sorted: Unlocker.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

Limited user account or not running as an administrator could also be the cause. Music files can be added as playlist or library for direct access. Deleting a file by library does not remove it from the directory location. You could also use Free REVO uninstaller if you need to completely remove the stubborn file.

Tekken

#4 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

I'm on the main account, full admin access

I have had the WMP services off before moving here, I have only turned them on in the last couple of weeks since moving to this property and getting a PS3, I had the problem before turning on the WMP services. (I actually hate WMP and if there was another way to stream with ease to the PS3 I would use it)

The problem is I don't get any of the error messages unlocker says it works for..

all I get is the "preparing to delete" and then it never going anywhere.. and eventually freezing out the entire drive.

I will try unlocker anyway, it might just do the trick.

#5 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

Well I downloaded and installed unlocker, it didn't have the right click options, so I thought I would try running it.. still no..

I did read somewhere that it doesn't work on win 7 64bit.. so maybe that's it

either way uninstalling it.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Missed the X64 bit bit. :wink:
Unlicker does in fact support X64 bit:http://unlocker-x64.en.softonic.com/download
Be sure to not install any unwanted sofware offered in the download/install proccess.
Run as Administrator.

Also worth a look:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic416774.html/page__p__2390962__fromsearch__1#entry2390962

#7 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

that worked A LOT better thank you.

I did try the other methods first but without much avail.

New unlocker works well, however made me realise how many locked files i seem to have in my music directory, I wonder if its something Mixed in Key does to them?

Basically I buy music from either beatport or trackit down in wav format, I the run it through mixed in key to get they key to ade me with my mixing... and then transfer them to the appropriate genre directory.

it would seem at least 5 files in the DnB folder alone are locked... some to explorer, some to the search indexer, some to wmpnetwork... every time i press unlock on them something else seems to lock them lol

might be time to remove all music from the media server thing and just leave it for the videos.

#8 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

just to add, they are either locked to explorer.exe, wmpnetwrok.exe, dllhost.exe and the searchprotocolhost.exe (not exact spellings) mostly explorer and wmpnetwork...

it was only my DNB folder that seemed quite so effeected.

oddly... wmpntwrk is STILL at a constant 25% procesor

I only had music and vids... the only vids that are locked are the directories and not the actual files, so nothing wrong with that

Could it be HD issues?

#9 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:07 AM

ok... heres a strange one, i just set the task to low priority and set it to the last 2 cores instead of all 4... process drops to 0%

from previous experience, upon restart the pc forgets the affinity you set... havent tried this time yet, but is there a way to assure a process remembers its affinity

Edited by Davidian, 12 November 2011 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users