Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag spike every 30 seconds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 redslime

redslime

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:09 PM

So lately I've been getting lag spikes every 30 seconds or so. They last no more than 1 or 2 seconds, but they are incredibly annoying.
For example, I will be typing, scrolling, clicking something, or watching something and it will completely freeze for 1 or 2 seconds, then suddenly jump to where the screen is supposed to be (like to the tab that SHOULD be showing if I clicked on a different tab during the lag spike)

Here are my specs that might matter:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
6GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Intel i3 540
nvidia 8800 GTS 512

Everything was fine. One day I restarted my PC (I usually set it to sleep at night, but this time I had to restart) and after that I noticed the lag spikes. The only significant thing between then and now is probably reinstalling TESIV Oblivion but I do not see that being an issue.

These lag spikes are not related to my web browser, as they happen even when I do not use the internet. However I DO NOT GET ANY LAG SPIKES WHILE I AM PLAYING A GAME. When my PC is dedicated to running a game I do not get any lag spikes at all. They only happen on the desktop / internet.

Anyone have any tips? Possible causes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Open task manager to the Processes tab. Sort on the CPU column with highest usage at the top. Next time there is a spike, see which process is chewing the cycles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users