Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SFB

SFB

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

I recently decided to free up some space on my hard drive by deleting programs via the control panel. I am wondering if I should delete some of the software updates that are on the populated list for XP, FrontPage, and IE. I assume that the very latest update contains all of the previous update info. So keeping the previous stuff is just wasting disk space. Should I delete those?

Thanks, RLM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-9862223-68.html

Tekken

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

If you are that short on disc space I strongly urge you to get a new hd.

#4 SFB

SFB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thanks jhayz. The article did helped my computer knowledge and may be something else I'll want to do.

Allan> I'm not short on HD space. I just want to clean it up.

Please allow me to rephase my post:

My computer runs XP Pro. When I open Control Panel, Add/Remove programs the list includes alot of XP Office Updates, IE 8 Security Updates, and XP Security Updates. Most of them are two years old and a few are older than that. I assume that newer updates to these three areas incorporates all of the older ones. It seems logical that I could delete most of the ones that are at least 2 years old without causing any issues. Am I correct?

Thanks.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

DO NOT DELETE THE UPDATES. You can go to your Windows folder and delete the update files at the top. Then you can go to Add/Remove and delete the associated entries for WINDOWS updates (not for Office or IE). You will only be deleting the entries in Add/Remove.

#6 SFB

SFB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

OK, I won't delete any files because now I can't if I wanted to. I downloaded a trial version of Bitdefender and it crashed my computer. I had to drag out the laptop to make this post. It was backed up and I needed a new one anyway. There's a silver lining there somewhere.

I'm going to have to buy another desktop and I have several questions on that topic so I'll jump over to that forum site and post them.

Thanks for the help anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users