Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Idle using a lot of memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jericho380

jericho380

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hey Techs. Yet another problem and I've done most of what I can to straighten it out. I am running a Emachine with 1 gig ram, windows home xp. Anytime I go onto a website or run a program, My fans start to run real hard and loud. I have vacuumed the machine out and also blew out with air...it quieted a bit, but not enough to my liking. I have defragged, disk-checked and even installed a core tuner. I see that system idle process is running about 95%...which seems a lot to me. Other processes like avast and other software is running very low. I already re-formatted and re-installed xp about 3 months ago...so I don't really want to do that again. System is clean as I have run MBAM and superantispyware and also my avast regular scans and a boot time scan and found nothing. I notice that my system is only running about 896 mb of ram. Is it time for more ram or should I be looking elsewhere? I've installed no programs that are memory hogs that I know of. I have the regular tools like Speccy, Secunia PSI, Ashampoo core tuner and Ashampoo HDD control.(that one just tells me the state,health and temp of my HD. There are more functions but I don't use them) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

System Idle shows how much of the cpu is NOT being used. The higher the number, the better.

More ram wouldn't hurt, but if this is a new issue then I doubt memory is the cause. Is it just the loud fan or are there other problems? If there are other issues, how does the system run in safe mode? Could just be you need a new power supply.

Edited by Allan, 16 October 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#3 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Allen for the quick reply. I will run it in safe mode and get back to you. The machine is about 5 years old, so maybe it is time for a new power supply...who knows, as the loud fan problem came up only about a week ago or so. It started after I played a game on google+ and that's when I did the scans, vacuuming, ect. Again, will let you know.
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Again, if it's just the loud fan and there are no other issues there is no need to run in safe mode - probably the power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users