Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to check OSX version on unbootable macbook?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frank11111

frank11111

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

How can I check what specific version of osx is running on my friends macbook if it wont boot? Is there any way to check with an ubuntu cd or just any old osx disc?

My friends old white macbook gets stuck in an infinite boot on startup, even in safe mode.

I checked the disc with ubuntu and its got some errors so that is probably why it wont boot normally or in safe mode.

it's probably not worth 40 bucks to my friend to buy a new hdd so I was just going to backup with Ubuntu, reformat and install with osx, and just hope the disc doesn't get worse.

However that requires I know which os it is running i believe..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

hmm i think if you put in an os x dics and boot it up with that then go to the utilities menu open disc utility click the hdd it will tell you at the bottom.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users