Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Business Name

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas7

Nicholas7

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hey guys,
I'm trying to decide on a new business name. Right now I have my own business named "Nic's PC Services". However, I feel it's too personal and has nowhere to go. It also limits people's views on what I do, as in just computer services. I want to get away from the "single, amateur, personal" atmosphere for when I have my own name in the company title. In addition, I don't just perform computer services such as virus removal and repair. I also do web hosting, web design, graphics design, video editing, and such. I haven't been able to come up with something that is catchy, short, but summarizes all that I do. Whereas PC Services kind of limits what my business is about, don't you think?

I've came up with something such as Multi Aspect Computer Services. I don't think it sounds too great though...and the domain name would kill SEO Results. What would you guys suggest, that's shorter and more pertinent to my services?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

A business name is difficult to decide on and can literally make or break your business.
A lot depends on demographics and other factors.
Personally I hate cliche terms such as geek, nerd etc.

My advise is not to think too hard about it. It is something that will just come to you.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Picking a business name is made more complicated by trademark infringement considerations.

Whatever you pick should be checked against your state's business name registry as well as a search of the US Patent and Trademark Office. You don't want to find yourself getting sued someday.

With so many computer related businesses it would be difficult to pick something unique without putting your own name or a variation of your name into the business name.

How about something like NikTek or some variation. The more outside-the-box it is, the more likely it is to get noticed.

Edited by heavydude, 17 October 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#4 Nicholas7

Nicholas7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

Mmm, I'm staying away from geek and nerd I think.

I came up with IT Solutions and Services, but it seems rather lengthy and would be costly in advertising. NikTek...somewhat nice, but already a computer service business. :/ - wouldn't want to copy that really. And I don't think I would want NicTec? As it has my name in it again, however it wouldn't sound so personal and confined. Any comments / further suggestions? I'm trying to ask as many people as I know who would have an input and I think the best hope is my computer buddies...Thanks so far.

What I want customers to think of when they hear my business name : (Alphabetized)

Affordable
Computer Repair
Custom Computer Builds
Easy
Graphics Design
One Stop
Quick
Solution
Support
Technical
Web Design

Edited by Nicholas7, 18 October 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

You could try this?

Abacus-Complete Coverage

The Abacus was the origin of the Computer and it is quite catchie when used in advertising. Trade Marks are really in a very grey area for it as it refers to a real machine, similar to the use of Computer.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

"NikTek...somewhat nice, but already a computer service business. :/ - wouldn't want to copy that really. And I don't think I would want NicTec?"

NicTec would be too close to NikTek and be a trademark violation since somebody else already has it.

I just thought of one: Bytebuster, and then googled it and found somebody in Sacramento using it.

Ray's right about trademarks being a gray area. If you restricted your business to your town or city you might not have a problem if somebody in another state had the same name. But if you operated online to serve customers everywhere, it would be a big issue.

My mind keeps working.

Nic at First Byte
Nic at Byte
Nic Bytes (well, maybe not that one.)
Bits and Bytes
Compufix (lots of those listed all over the place. Probably not a trademark issue unless they are all suing each other.)

It's tough coming up with a unique business name.

#7 Nicholas7

Nicholas7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, I don't want to have issues with trademarks, that's why I was using my name. But then it just confines it. The only problem with ITSS is that it's a lengthy URL. I want to appeal to customers though, an I think Abacus would be unknown to many, many people. Thanks so far guys. Still open to suggestions as so far I haven't gotten a name yet to go with! :/

#8 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

The old trick people use to do when Yellow pages was the predominant method of advertising was to use A or even AA as the first part of the name. Would get you to the top of the free business listing. Like "A+ computer service".
I always thought it was a bit too "cute". Probably not applicable to the internet age.
I assume that you will be primarily servicing a specific geographical area(?)
Also you do not specify if your primary customer base will be business , general public or a combination of the two.
Remember that Mrs Smith , who bought her son a computer at Wall-Mart or Target, probably has limited knowledge of computer terms. IT or PC services may be familiar phrases to you but might not be to a customer. She just knows that juniors computer is messed up and wants to get it fixed.
Computer Services does need to be part of the name just to get the message across. Consider something pertinent to your area. " Mountainside Computer Services" or "Lakeview Computer Services". Maybe even the town or city name if not already used.Gives a local feel and may increase a potential customers comfort level.
Just some thoughts
Best of Luck in you venture
Nawtheasta
( Self Employed since 1989)
( Not computer related)

#9 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, I don't want to have issues with trademarks, that's why I was using my name. But then it just confines it. The only problem with ITSS is that it's a lengthy URL. I want to appeal to customers though, an I think Abacus would be unknown to many, many people. Thanks so far guys. Still open to suggestions as so far I haven't gotten a name yet to go with! :/

That's another thing. You want a name that's short and catchy for the URL as well as unique so that it doesn't come up next to 1000 other similar names during a search.

Like Abacus for example. Add the word computer and you come up with thousands. Add another a Aabacus and you still come up with thousands.

#10 mommehK

mommehK

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

Not very original, but your initials plus something else.
e.g. KRS Tech Solutions

TechOne Solutions
One Tech Place
Tech Assist

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Another thing to consider is how the business name sounds when you answer the phone.
You want something that isnt a mouthful if you know what I mean.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Not very original, but your initials plus something else.
e.g. KRS Tech Solutions

I was thinking the same thing, then I seen this reply, so I am simply saying +1 more on this idea. :thumbup2:

KRS computer repair services

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 October 2011 - 01:19 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

Nick's Technocrap

Nick don't technocrap from anybody's computer.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

Nick's Technocrap

Nick don't technocrap from anybody's computer.

For laughs thats pretty good and catchy, however, they may not take kindly to that slogan on daytime television.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

I assume that we can bill you appropriately if anyone picks a name for you.
Royalties and copywright laws you know! hehe.

So far, sadly, it looks like your guess is just as good as anyone else's.

Like I said, dont think too hard about it. In business things should simply naturally occur.
And it will for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users