Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pros and Cons of Microsoft Security Essentials? Comments please.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0 (Build 6002 - Service Pack 2)
3 MB RAM
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

I've been reading up on Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 and it looks good to me.

Any comments, good or bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

>>>I've been reading up on Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 and it looks good to me. Any comments, good or bad?<<<

Pros? Set it, and forget it. Requires little to no maintenance, ideal for novice users. Uses Win Updates for definition updates. Offers good protection from what I've read on the innernetz. I only used it for a month or so on a Virtual machine. It leaves a light footprint & is easy on system resources (which is good)---it was OK, IMHO.

Cons? Set it, and forget it. Offers very little in the way of "tweaking" preferences. Offers no way to disable automatic updating of virus defs--you can update defs manually. Uses Win Updates for definition updates which leads to a bazillion restore points cluttering the hard drive & "forces" the user to use Auto Update & Microsoft Updates rather than just Windows Updates. I much prefer Avast! Free, FWIW.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 October 2011 - 06:56 PM.

#3 George Berz

George Berz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

I think Microsoft Security Essentials is GREAT, not hard on resources and nothing has gotten by yet (4 kids in house)
Another neat tool from them not advertised is Microsoft Safety Scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

It is a one shot program that will run in conjunction with most other anti-virus programs that I have found.

George

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

@ George: The Microsoft Safety Scanner appears to have the components of the Malicious Software Removal Tool in addition to a virus scanner (presumably the M$ Essentials engine???) The MSRT is offered (& required to run, I believe) every "Patch Tuesday" by M$. So if I'm correct (I may not be) it seems a bit redundant to use the safety scanner if you're already running MSE and patching your OS every month (MSRT is a required update) IMHO.

Microsoft releases an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month, and as needed to respond to security incidents. The tool is available from Microsoft Update, Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center.

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 October 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#5 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

ideal for novice users.

Well, I'm not a novice, more of an upper intermediate. So getting my cyber-hands dirty is OK with me. :thumbup2:

Uses Win Updates for definition updates.

Does that mean that Automatic Updates are always on. I don't like that idea. I keep Automatic Updates off because it keeps wanting to install IE 8 and I don't want IE 8. I have to keep unchecking IE 8 every time I manually update.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

>>>Well, I'm not a novice, more of an upper intermediate. So getting my cyber-hands dirty is OK with me<<<

LOL. Same here, I'm kinda an "upper 'tweener" myself.

>>>Does that mean that Automatic Updates are always on. I don't like that idea...<<<

EMPHATIC ditto--AAMOF, with all the malicious stuff going around disguising itself as legit updates (Flash, Java, Rogue AV, etc) I turn off ALL Automatic Updates, this way I'm %99.9999999999 sure if I get an update pop-up or notice, it's fake/potentially malicious. I'm pretty sure M$E will still Auto-Update even if you have WinDOZE Updates set to "notify but let me choose what/when to download/install" which is what I have it set as.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

I've read positive reviews of MSE that were written in 2011.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6211

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376220,00.asp#fbid=Inb_3zz3r0I

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks. I will update my list.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif