Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anybody Added IE 8 or IE 9 to Windows Vista with success?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0 (Build 6002 - Service Pack 2)
3 MB RAM
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

IE 7 has annoyed me for quite some time. I was reluctant to add IE 8 because of bad reviews. I've read that IE 9 is something of an improvement.

I don't care for Firefox. I'm currently using Opera as a supplement but it has its drawbacks.

I'm looking for comments from people who have upgraded to IE 8 or IE 9 on Vista.

Any problems or issues with one or the other or have you had success over a long period of time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:19 AM

No problems. NONE! IE 7 to IE8 to IE 9 on one computer with Windows Vista. That one was all good. Same thing for another computer here with Windows Vista. Someone else on Windows 7 accidentily upgraded from IE 8 to IE 9, and again no real trouble. There was a certain website I use often which did not work for a few weeks in IE Version 9, but this problem seems to have now been fixed either at the site's end or with updates to IE 9.

#3 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Did you find webpages loaded faster with IE 9?

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

From purely a security perspective, it is important to update to the latest versions of whatever browsers are installed.

--------------------

I rarely use IE myself, but browser speed can be affected by numerous factors, Internet connection, addons/plugins, security software etc. So will be different for everyone.

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

I have already upgraded from IE7 to IE9 a while ago, with No problems on my Vista machine. I mostly use Firefox and occasionally use Google Chrome. The only problem I have experienced with the IE9 in regards to slow load up is from all of the addons/plugins. However IE9 has a feature that lets you disable the addons/plugins that are causing the slow load ups. Also it lets you set adjust the time at which it will let you know the browser is taking too long. For example; on my IE9 I currently have it set a 1.5 seconds load up time. If it takes longer than that IE9 lets me know and it will show me all of the addons and plugins that are installed and how much time they are taking. It will let me disable all of them or each one of them individually until the time gets below the set load-up time of 1.5 seconds.

But, I also continue to have some problems with the browser crashing on me at times. I believe it is due to all of the added programs on my computer, some of them are most likely conflicting with each other at times, also I think Internet Explorer get a little overloaded with data at times and freezes up for a few seconds. I also have had problems with Adobe Flash installing/crashing, do not know if it is IE9 related, conflict w/ another program and IE9 related, or my computer.

As for Firefox, I have not had as many problems with it as I have had with Internet Explorer. But, As with Internet Explorer, I think some of the programs on my computer conflict with each other and then cause Firefox to freeze up and or crash temporarily. Also not all of the addons/plugins are compatible with Firefox. About the only major problem I have had and do have is the adobe flash player keeps crashing when playing the online games.

Those are the pros and cons and problems I have experienced with IE9 and Firefox on my specific computer. I hope that helps.

#6 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, that's great information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users