Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removed antiwpa.dll and now can't activate XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twinbird

Twinbird

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

I did a virus scan with avast and I moved antiwpa.dll to the virus chest. Now when I boot up XP Home it gets to the welcome screen and then tells me I need to activate windows. I click "yes" to active and I try to go through the process but it can't access the internet. The ethernet cable I use works fine on every other computer, so that's not the problem. I also can't restore the .dll file from the avast chest because when I'm viewing the log I can't select any of the entires but I don't know why I can't select them... Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Considering that it is a Windows crack....

Edited by .X., 16 October 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#3 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. The copy of windows should be legitimate though... I found this: "The program detects antiwpa as Trojan.I.Stole.Windows. Actually, it's a patch to validate Windows." I can't do a repair install with the CD because it's not an option. Is a re-install of the OS my only option?

Edit: I found a copy of Windows and the repair option works, so I'm doing that now, but if it fails I think a fresh re-install is my only option.

Edited by Twinbird, 16 October 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

Antiwpa.dll is a prohibited software crack which is used to avoid the Windows' copy protection. This file, to start automatically makes use of the Winlogon Notify key.
The key runs definite programs when particular actions happen like the starting up of the computer, logging in and logging off by the user or when a computer is shutting down

A quote from the crack "fake" site -

EDIT - AVG will also isolate this .dll
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/antiwpa.dll-21379.html
From BleepingComputer Data Base -

Edited by noknojon, 16 October 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

One does not need a network connection to activate...a user can do so via phone.

How to find a phone number for a Microsoft Product Activation Center - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users