Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent startup failures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Okuu

Okuu

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hello, I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 17R (N7110) that was on sale at Costco. It arrived on Thursday, October 13. However, from the beginning it doesn't always start up correctly. About 4 times out of 12 it got up to the "Starting Windows..." screen, but the 4 lights don't come together to form the windows logo (that's the startup animation). Each time I did a hard reset, and then it would ask if I wanted to run Startup Repair.

First time: I think this was before I even installed any of my own programs. Tried running Startup Repair... which failed to start up, and I reset again.

Second time: Immediately following the first, I decided to run Windows normally without Startup Repair, and it worked.

Third time: I decided to try Startup Repair again. It went through this time, and when prompted to try a System Restore I did.

Fourth time: ...apparently that didn't work, because it happened again. This one happened when I started it for the first time this morning, 10/16. I noticed that the Seagate Drive was attached when I started it this morning. I did another System Restore.

Fifth time: 10/16. Pressed F8 and tried to start with Boot Logging. Not sure if ntbtlog.txt recorded the failure, or only the following time when I tried to boot in safe mode. (Safe Mode did work the one time I tried that)

Unfortunately I haven't noticed any patterns to this behavior yet. It seems that it doesn't matter whether it's a startup from the off state, or a restart. Nor do I know if it's a Windows 7 problem or a Dell laptop problem. Any ideas?

Edited by Okuu, 16 October 2011 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

If it is brand new take it back for an exchange.

#3 circus

circus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Exact same issue but I've had mine for 6 months. Is this something new ?

#4 circus

circus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

Sorry, it only started 3 days ago

#5 Okuu

Okuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

circus: That's peculiar. Maybe a recent Windows update is disagreeing with this model or something.

As far as I can tell it does this even when I uninstall all of my own programs, so I'm going to return this one and see if I have luck using a Toshiba instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users