Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New(-ish) Windows 7 HP laptop running slowly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 syntaxspam

syntaxspam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new here, but have browsed the forums before and think this is the right place to post (sorry if it's not!). I have a relatively new HP dvt6 pavilion laptop (quad core intel i7, 8gb of ram), and I've noticed that in the past few months it's gradually gotten slower. Granted, it's still way faster than my old laptop, but I know I likely have more things running than I should. In fact, my process explorer shows no less than 104 processes running, and I would really like to trim this down to about 40 or so. I looked through the msconfig services, but not too much jumped out at me that should be disabled, so I was hoping the wonderful people in these forums could help me out. I've run HijackThis and my log is as follows. I welcome any and all advice about what I should disable or remove with HijackThis or with msconfig.

Thanks so much for your help!

<HJT log removed>

Edited by elise025, 16 October 2011 - 01:16 PM.
Log removed so the topic can stay in this forum ~Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

I've noticed that in the past few months it's gradually gotten slower

Hi and Welcome -
Just a few quick questions -

Has your Antivirus (I hope only 1 is installed) or Antimalware programs (you can have several free scanners) reported anything recently ? ?
Did this occur slowly, or has the problem just happened and built up worse over the last few months ?
Do you have a lot of programs set to open at startup ?

Thank You -

#3 syntaxspam

syntaxspam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hi there,

Nope, no detects by my antivirus (Microsoft Essentials) or antimalware (Spybot Search and Destroy).

It's kind of happened slowly. It's honestly not too bad, but I suspect that it's because my laptop is so spec'd out. I just really want to get the best performance possible out of my computer (fast start-up times and program starts, etc.).

I don't have too many programs starting up, other than my antivirus, F.lux, and the program "Everything", plus some HP-related stuff, but I posted my hijackThis log in the off-chance that people might recognize more that I can turn off.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

Remove Spybot completely and replace it with Malwarebytes instead. Couple of years ago on my XP system went sluggish maybe 2 to 3 months after installing spybot.

Tekken

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

Malwarebytes Anti Malware is a great idea.
You posted you looked in msconfig/Start up and every thing looks okay. I have 3 things checked in Start Up. My antivirus and my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Nothing more, the other things will start when I click on them if and when I decide to.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

Try this instead of using msconfig http://download.cnet.com/StartUp-Tool/3000-2105_4-10465585.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users