Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 Webcam

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

I'm running windows 7 home premium 64-bit Dell Studio XPS desktop and my old cam didn't work with it so I bought a new cam.

A few months back I purchased a Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 Webcam, which I use for security recording when I'm gone. I used to use Debut Video capture with it but I had to replace my hard drive and it's no longer free - it says it is but won't run after 14 days. Even at the free download it downloads the 14 day trial and when you go to uninstall the radio dial for keeping the free version doesn't work.

The software that came with the cam automatically shuts off after 10 minutes left unattended. There are no time settings/adjustments in the programs software. The computer stays on (not asleep) however, I do turn off my monitor while gone - and that's not affected it recording with Debut in the past - but not sure of any other programs.

These are the only settings on the cam's program:
Under settings:
Adjust microphone volume
Resolution
Image adjustments

Under properties

Brightness
Contrast
Hue
Saturation
Sharpness
Gamma
White Balance
Bright comp

camera control
zoom
exposure
Pan
Tilt
low light compensation

the only other thing is flicker and effects

nothing on time length or file size

I've tried: Device-manager, expand the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' tab then look for the USB with the web-cam - Right-click, select 'Properties' - Left-click the 'Power Management' tab and, if the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is ticked, un-tick it then OK everything back to the desktop.

Also: Control-Panel, select 'Power Options' then click the 'Change Plan Settings' for the selected plan. Click on the 'Change advanced power settings Down the list expand the USB setting, set it to disabled then OK everything back to the desktop

I've checked the shortcuts in the Start Menu entries - for a configuration program or something in the cam-folder, grouped along with any other Microsoft entries, Microsoft Mouse, Microsoft Keyboard, Microsoft Silverlight etc.

At this point I don't think the cam has such a way in it's program to record for surveillance - and can't afford Debut. Are there any other good free video capture programs out there that may work?

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users