Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp installation on secondary drive won't boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zagnuts

zagnuts

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

I have a dell 9150 (xps 400). Installed xp on secondary drive. Computer recognized drive, diagnostics says passed. Computer says drive on local disk e. Two questions' one: how do you get to drive when booting up?, and two: why does xp crash to setup screen? On crash topic xp starts to load then stops and goes to setup screen. I hope this is enough info. Thanks Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legacyabcd

legacyabcd

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

What does your boot.ini file look like?

Start, Run, type msconfig, click boot.ini tab, copy and pasted the contents in a post.

EDIT: are you saying the other OS is on a second -physical- drive, or a logical partition on the first physical drive?

BY teh way, I dont work here LOL

Edited by legacyabcd, 16 October 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

If you have 2 hard drives...each with a Windows install...the one booted into will be C:, while D: will be the optioal drive...and E: will be the letter assigned to the Windows which is not booted into.

Whichever you boot into...that drive will be C:, while the other will be E:.

If the other install is not a boot option when you start the system...I'd have to ask how the second install was made.

I don't believe that Dell systems are set up to allow two installs from the same base set of files...but I don't really know. If you tell us exactly how you installed XP on the second drive...I think we can figure out what might need to be done.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users