Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype video settings causing BSOD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 parkton

parkton

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

Hi, i'm back here as advised by myrti in post below:

Posted Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Hi parkton,

your logs are looking clean and I don't think malware is involved. I would suggest that you repost your issue in the Windows 7 forum (from which this thread was originally moved).
Please be aware that Hijackthis, as well as DDS, are used for malware detection only at BleepingComputer, which is why your topic was moved to malware removal. So when you repost, just leave out the log from Hijackthis and I'm sure the people in the software forums will get you sorted quickly It sounds like you may have a driver issue. On a related mattter if this is a laptop/prebuilt PC from a major company, it is possible that you have a recovery partition on your PC from which you can reset your PC should the need arise (one day, not necessarily today).

regards myrti

So with regards to my problem - My OS is Windows 7 Home Edition, 64 bit. I don't have a Windows 7 disc as it came pre-loaded (and now i can't find the recovery disc i made). Just to recap from my original post, I've connected up a Trust Primo 17405 webcam and installed Skype. Webcam and skype both seemed to work before downloading drivers for webcam (because i wanted some of the extra features like face movement tracking). Only seems to cause BSOD when clicking on Skype tools- options- video settings- CRASH! Otherwise i haven't as yet encountered much else other than my HP Photosmart B110a wireless printer is disconnected and has apparently lost it's drivers, which don't want to re-load.

Can you advise on what i need to do to fix the problem - as stated above, myrti thinks it might be a driver problem. :unsure:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hello Parkton,

OK first let's roll back the webcam driver to the previous version, then we will try to update the printer drivers.

To Roll Back driver

click Start button

right-click computer

select manage

click on device manager on right hand pane

expand web cam or camera

select the web cam and right-click

select properties

select driver TAB

select Roll Back Driver

select yes and restart computer.

Update HP Printer driver

Click Start button

right-click computer

select manage

select HP printer with yellow symbol

right-click select update driver

select let windows find drivers automatically

Hopefully it will find the drivers on the computer all ready.
If it doesn't find the drivers automatically then you can browse your computer to find them. If they were already installed then you could try searching C:\HP\Drivers.

Click Start button

right-click computer

select manage

select HP printer with yellow symbol

right-click select update driver

select browse my computer to find driver

select the browse button and search for drivers C:\HP\Drivers

#3 parkton

parkton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hi LouisR47,

Many thanks for your reply.

The webcam seems to be working again and just to test it out I tried clicking on its video settings tab and everything remained normal i.e. no BSOD. :thumbup2:

The printer however is still not working - following your advice, under 'other devices' Photosmart B110 series is actually listed 3 times, all with a yellow triangle against them. I got the message saying 'Windows could not find software for your device. Visit website and check support'. Clicking on drivers at each listing it states 'Drivers not installed (Code 28)'.
I did try visiting the HP website and saved the model (B110a) 'Add a device' drivers to desktop, and clicking on it the program starts to visibly run and then disappears with nothing further happening.

Presumably i may need to uninstall the printer and try re-loading it with the original disc supplied? As it appears to have installed itself previously more than once during set up (probably my fault i guess)how can i ensure everything is cleanly deleted for a proper, clean re-install if that is indeed the correct way forward?

Thanks

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hello,

I would just remove the printer if it shows up in devices and printers

Start button

Control Panel

click view devices and printers

select and right-click the printer(s)

and select remove device and yes

Do that for all printers you want removed.

when you install the drivers, just use the wizard from the HP disc and install the full package.

#5 parkton

parkton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi,

I've deleted all and reinstalled and everything now seems to work okay!

Thanks for your assistance,

Best regards.

Edited by parkton, 17 October 2011 - 12:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users