Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System rebooting durning backup or disk image

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VicMJ

VicMJ

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

This is not a system I use everyday. Several times now when I have had the PC on to update or back it up it has rebooted itself. No one else uses this computer but me so I am unsure what is going on with it. Can someone give me some kind of idea where to stat on this problem? Vic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

Hi VicMJ..

The reboots during updates may be automatic depending on your settings..You may also be getting an error that causes the reboot...I would start by checking the event viewer..Click start>>right click on 'My Computer'>>click 'Manage'>>event viewer...errors will be marked with a red X...double click on an error to get more information

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

Many time when Windows updates it needs to reboot to complete the update and it will do that. Stay with your computer while updating and see it the update post any such information.

#4 VicMJ

VicMJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Believe me this is not the problem. I check for updates on my systems every time I boot up and install them. Vic

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Let's make sure that the reboot isn't being caused by an error. Go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery and uncheck "automatically restart". If it IS an error causing the problem, instead of a reboot you'll get a blue screen error. If that happens, post back and we'll give you the next step(s)

#6 VicMJ

VicMJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

I disabled the auto reboot setting and ran backups and other apps. Everything went without a hitch. When you want it to fail of course it don't. I will keep testing every evening until it does and then I will post the results. Vic

Edited by VicMJ, 18 October 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

back it up it has rebooted itself.

When you say update, you mean updating your backups? Or Windows update and backing up your files?

Tekken

#8 VicMJ

VicMJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

Others were talking about Windows updates rebooting at completion as the possible source for what I saw as a problem but I was talking about doing system backups and full disk image backups when the reboot happened. Thinking more about the problem I think it also rebooted when I was running Spybot SD once. Vic

#9 VicMJ

VicMJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

Thank you a_cup for the tip. I will use it. Vic

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

The reboots could either be hardware or software conflict. Does it occur only on a particular instance such as creating backups?

Edited by jhayz, 20 October 2011 - 08:53 PM.

Tekken

#11 VicMJ

VicMJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

At first that is what I believed but now I am not so sure. I think it also happened while I was running virus scans and other maintenance tests. I have been doing backups and running test every night but nothing has happen. A watched kettle won't boil water. Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users