Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

12meg. vs. 20megs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:16 AM

HI, I called comcast today to find why my bill started creeping up.
They told me that there a $10 per moth charge for what they call blaster
to give more megs.,they said my internet speed would go from 12megs.to 20megs,
but my thinking is that if i do not a PC that will not do games why would i
need extra megs. this my PC specs,WINXP,SP3,(2)512MB RAM,(1)1024 RAM,2.2mhz
GATEWAY GT4010 MEDIA CENTER.
My question is with the PC i have would this be like hooking a 4"fire hose to a
3/4" garden hose as i belive my PC can except only so much download from hi-speed internet
is my thinking wrong on this,THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

A lot of cable companies have bandwidth tiers. Mine does. You should check on that. If you're on the lowest tier, you'll want to go to the next tier up. Trying to sell you increased speed seems like a red herring. Going to the next bandwidth tier might be cheaper.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for reply this PC i am using right now seems to be working just find.
What comcast did is like phone cos. used to do called cramming,it has been going for year
but they said they would reverse it will on next bill.

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

HI,I talked comcast again and they said their lowest speed was 1.5megs is there a real
relationship between incoming speed and whats inside of a PC.
MyPC is a GATEWAY GT4010,2.2MHZ,WINXP,SP3,NVIDIA 7300 VIDEIO CARD,MEDIA CENTER.
Right now i am at 12megs,the reason i am asking is when i called COMCAST a few days ago
thats when they told me the $10 a month charge i did not know about,if i had not called
my bill in NOV. would have goneup to about $195 from about $107,THANKS

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

The download speed you need depends primarily on how you use the internet, and how much you download to your hard drive (e.g., pictures, applications, music and movies). A minimal user needs only the first or perhaps the second tier of service. One can characterise the "minimal user" as having the following characteristics: uses the Internet to read and send E-mails, chat with friends and family, pay bills, order goods on-line, read news, get information. All of these activities do not use graphics that require higher download speeds to be satisfactory. The same can be said for monthly download limits, especially if one uses the Internet for only a few hours a day or week.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the reply,that was my orginal assumption,that a PC can only be as fast
as whats inside of it.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

That is not precisely accurate. There may be a limit to the speed at which your computer can process data once received, but that is different from the speed the data is transmitted from the source to your computer. For example, you may wish to download OpenOffice.org---a rather lengthy application like MS Office. The time it takes to physically download it will vary according to your internet speed independent (for all practical purposes in modern computers) of your computer's capabilities; the time it takes to install the application will be dependent on the amount of ram and speed of your hard drive.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

Thank's for the reply,one thing i need to do is to my up to 4mb with 2 sticks of 2mb each
right now i have 2-512 and one 1-1024,i belive this should make my PC A LITTLE FASTER BUT NOT BY MUCH.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

You memory module is not dependent on your internet speed but on certain types of operation commonly known as swap or paging file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/swapfile.htm

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users