Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msconfig

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 birenya

birenya

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

I have recently installed Win XP as a guest OS in my comp (OS Win 7).When I open XP I get a message to log in to messenger . To avoid it I used msconfig to remove
messenger from start-up programs.Since then when ever I open XP I get pop-up asking me to change me to normal startup instead of selective startup. Is it normal?
I suspect some type of malware is at work.Please let me know how to stop these popups.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zep516

zep516

• Security Colleague
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

That's normal behavior when using msconfig, that being said using msconfig to control start ups is not a good idea and was never intended for that use. I would use the program here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/startuplite to control start ups.

zep516

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

If you want Win7 to operate like XP there is always this tutorial.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7/

Otherwise is there a specific reason to want to have XP and Win7 running together ? ?

If you are concerned about infections, these are dealt with in the Am I Infected or Malware Removal areas of the forum -

Regards -

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Following quote courtesy of our very own quietman7:

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:

• When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list.
You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?]MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list.
You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

nm, I just realized he's running XP in a VM.

Edited by .X., 16 October 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

.X. -
The system is a 64bit , but I am not sure if Both OS are 64bit ? ?
Can this be a conflict ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users