Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSOD and then restarts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cottonfox

cottonfox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Evening Bleepers,

My computer has been locking up/restarting for some time now. I was running Lunux Mint 9 (and using various Ubuntu variants for the past 3 years). Under Mint the computer would randomly lock up, usually while I was away at work, but occasionally while I was trying to use the computer. I upgraded to Linux Mint 11 but the problem persisted.

When upgrading linux (back in the summer) I ran Memtest86+ which said everything seemed OK.

I switched to Windows7 x64 to see if that would alleviate the symptoms. Now the computer acts up more frequently. But instead of locking completely it blue screens and restarts. This BSOD loop is occurring about 14-18 times per day. I have a myriad of .dmp files that are a mix between Bug Check Code 0x0000001a and 0x00000050. Almost all of the faults appear to be because of ntoskrnl.exe, however, the most recent loop (10/15/11 at 7:51pm) also had nvlddmkm.sys in on the "naughty list"

I'm torn between what seems (to me) to be a memory issue or a graphics card issue. I'm hoping it's not an issue with the entire mainboard. I'm running a rig I built myself a few years ago, so it is possible that components need to be replaced. I have recently upgraded power supplies, but the problem seemed to be (unfortunately) unaffected.

I am currently running on:
Intel Pentium D CPU @ 3.00 GHz (dual core x64)
2.00 GB RAM by GSKILL
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics card
MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i motherboard

Any incite into this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Cotton

Edited by cottonfox, 15 October 2011 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

I had a similar problem with my Pc and was able to resolve it just by going into the bios and resetting everything back to defaults...just a simple thing to try ...hey it might even work for u like it did for me

#3 cottonfox

cottonfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the tip. I tried both the "optimized defaults" and the "fail-safe defaults" but the problem persisted. I also tried running the verifyer.exe program, which seemed to stop the problem, however, the computer ran astoundingly slow, and I could not use my NIC or wireless cards.

Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users