Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tons of problems with Windows 7 Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 causio08

causio08

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hello to all,

I hope that this is the correct forum for my issues. We have a Toshiba L505 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. We have KIS 2011 installed since March of 2011 and things were working. Last week after installing the KIS 2012 update,everything went screwy. Reading about the installation notes, you could install KIS 2012 over the 2011 version so that it keeps the activation code. Well, as soon as we finished the installation, the laptop became slow, unresponsive and froze numerous times. KIS 2012 has not been able to update the database automatically as set up and the next day , I got a Black activation list error. A call to Kaspersky directed me to uninstall KIS with their remover tool and reinstall as KIS 2012 sees 2011 as malware. They are still reviewing my email follow up to my phone call. I Have done this step 3 times. I have run scans with KIS and AVG and Malwarebyte with negative reports. Accoding to these scans, the laptop is not infected. When the laptop freezes, the actual picture on the screen of the program almost becomes transparent as it tries to close or start. Seem to have lost the ability to uninstall from the control panel. Tried using Revounintaller and that did not work. Uninstalling the trial version of Microsoft Office and Student 2007 proved ineffective as " the language of the program is not supported " and this was English. Tried to uninstall in safe mode and that did not work as well. So I am at a loss as to why all of this happened after a simple software update.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

>>>... Reading about the installation notes, you could install KIS 2012 over the 2011 version...KIS 2012 sees 2011 as malware...<<< :blink::wacko::smash:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

I have run scans with KIS and AVG

Are you running two anti-virus programs (AVG alongside KIS)?

Are you running Malwarebytes in real-time or just using it as a stand-alone scanner?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

Hello Quietman7,

No. I am not running AVG along side with KIS.

After I uninstalled KIS, I needed a temp security program so I installed AVG. I then ran yet another full scan and it came back with nothing.
Running Malwarebyte as a stand alone scanner.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

>>>...Reading about the installation notes, you could install KIS 2012 over the 2011 version...A call to Kaspersky directed me to uninstall KIS with their remover tool and reinstall...I Have done this step 3 times...Tried using Revounintaller...Uninstalling the trial version of Microsoft Office and Student 2007 proved ineffective...Tried to uninstall in safe mode...I am at a loss as to why all of this happened after a simple software update<<<

There seems to be conflicting info regarding installing 2012 "over the top" of 2011:

http://products.kaspersky-labs.com/english/homeuser/kis2012/release_notes_kis2012_en.html

INSTALLATION

To install the application, run the setup file and follow the Setup Wizard's instructions.

The installation procedure of Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 allows you to uninstall all applications that, when running simultaneously with Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, may cause slowdowns (up to complete non-operability) on the user's computer.
You can install the application over the following applications:
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 or 2011
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 or 2011

The following KB says to uninstall KAV, but makes no mention of KIS :huh: :

http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2012/install?qid=208284350

ID Article: 6337
Applies to:
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 / 2010

If Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 / 2011 is installed on your computer and you would like to upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, you should do the following:

download the product distributive of Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 from the Kaspersky Lab's official site http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates

uninstall Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 / 2011:

How to uninstall Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010?
How to uninstall Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011?
run the downloaded file
follow the instructions of the Setup Wizard
restart your computer
activate Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

The following List of applications incompatible with Kaspersky Internet Security 2012v list both KAV & KIS 2011 as "incompatible" with KIS 2012. :crazy:

It might be worth looking thru the list to see if there's anything installed on your system that may be causing conflict with 2012. Did you have any Norton/McAfee/other AV "trial offers" installed when you bought the laptop (probably) and if so, did you/how did you remove/uninstall it/them?

I hope the info provided above serves to help, I apologize if this is info you've already read.

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 October 2011 - 10:23 AM.

#6 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hi Union_Thug,

I reviewed the list of apps that may be incompatible with KIS 2012.

The laptop purchase included a free Trend Micro anti-virus software.

We used the already installed 30 day trial version of Norton until it expired.
we then un installed it using the Norton removing tool and installed the Trend Micro.

When the Trend Micro expired,we uninstalled it from the control panel and then installed the KIS 2011.

Everything was working normally until the KIS 2012 update installation.

Do you think that there may be some remnant Trend Micro stuff still in there?
KIS 2011 would have not worked as it did if there were some traces left over, I would think.

I'm just puzzled by this whole thing...I have dowonloaded the Trend Micro removal tool if I am asked to run it .

thanks for all your help

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

>>>I'm just puzzled by this whole thing...I have dowonloaded the Trend Micro removal tool if I am asked to run it <<<

As am I & you're welcome.:) I wish I could offer more help, but I believe your answer/resolution will have to come from Kaspersky support itself...as a paying customer you deserve as much.

Although I don't think the Trend Micro "issue" (if there even is an issue) is the root cause, I don't believe it would make matters any worse if you ran the removal tool. Another alternative is AppRemover by OPSWAT... it comes highly recommended by Quietman 7 & a few other highly respected BC staff. Link: http://www.appremover.com/

Good luck & keep us posted as I'm curious as to what is the root cause of your problem.

"Thug"

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 October 2011 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Sacht

Sacht

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

No update yet ... ?
I'm curious for the topic .

#9 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Kaspersky has asked to run one of their diagnostic programs to capture what could be the cause of this issue. I ran the program last night and attached the report to an email to their support group.

Not sure how long that will take but will update as soon as I hear.

thanks to all for your help

#10 sandokane

sandokane

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

hi

what if there is some garbage left in registry have you manually checked it? I mean from KIS 2011

Edited by sandokane, 17 October 2011 - 04:31 PM.

#11 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

We have a winner !!

this one is for "THUG":

so after looking at the long list of incompatible programs that feud with KIS 2012, the only thing that I saw was the Micro Trend software that came free with my laptop purchase. It was suggested that I run the Trend Micro unistaller just in case and the Appremoval software to see if anything was still in the laptop. I also ran CCcleaner for the leftover registry just be sure that there was nothing left of all the uninstall that I did. Soooo, two nights ago after running the above mentioned programs, the laptop let me know that my KIS database was obsolete and that...wait for it...Windows Defender needed to scan the laptop...What? I did not know that I had WDthen on the laptop so I ran the scan anyway. it came back negative. After the scan , I unchecked the " run this program " box and ...voila'..the freezing, the unresponsiveness and all that good stuff is GONE....

So remembering that Windows Defender was on the list that Thug sent me. lit the lightbulb....

So good information Thug.

You solved it and I appreciate all of your insight and suggestions...

Case closed....thank You.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for sharing the resolution to your issue. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

KOOL!!! :thumbsup: You're most welcome, glad you got things running smoothly again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users