Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running a media player with codecs from a USB drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 prr

prr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

What I want to do is put a lot of pictures and videos on a USB drive, along with a graphics viewer and media player. I will need to view just the basic videos--flv, mp4, wmv, that's about it. I know I'll need portable media viewers.

I've never done this before, but I use a few different computers and for some classes that I teach, the graphics/videos are a big part of what I want to do, and don't want to get stuck without the codecs, etc. so I can't always trust any computer that is in the classroom.

Has anyone done this and had good luck/no luck with any viewer at all? Any other recommendations for portable graphics viewers/media players?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

I went to the portable apps site and downloaded a couple of apps that I've used in the past--XnView (for pics) and VLC (for videos).

But I'm still open to hearing what others have experienced running apps like these off a USB drive. Like I said this stuff has to work, so if there are any glitches I'd like to hear about it beforehand. :P

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

I've never had any problems, with running VLC from a flash drive.

For images, I use irfanview.
With that, and the additional plug-in pack, I haven't found anything it wouldn't open.
My image viewer/editor of choice for home, and flash drive. :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

I've never had any problems, with running VLC from a flash drive.

For images, I use irfanview.
With that, and the additional plug-in pack, I haven't found anything it wouldn't open.
My image viewer/editor of choice for home, and flash drive. :)

What plugin pack are you talking about?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

From the link provided, on the left, click on PlugIns.
The one listed as #1; Brothersoft.com - download IrfanView plugins
That's all of the plug-ins.
You can also download 1 of 4 different packs, depending on your needs, if you don't want to install all of them.
Further down the page, you'll see a list of the plug-ins included.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

OK, thanks.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

You're welcome, prr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users