Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jimworzala

jimworzala

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

My computer, a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP SP3, suddenly started having a boot problem. For the last couple of days, it would start to boot, suddenly flash a blue screen (there wasn't even time to see any of it), then start all over and go through the same process over and over again. I tried to boot in safe mode, and it worked, but I'm not really sure what to look for at that point. I then tried to boot in a debug mode, and when I did, it went up to the Blue screen and stopped. The error message that it gave was:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your system

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer.

In particular run a memory check and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

Technical info: Stop 0x0000007f (0x00000008,0x80042000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I then tried to boot using the Dell operating sysem reinstall disk that came with the computer. I tried the repair install, and it reacted the same way as a normal boot as well.

I then found a second boot menu besides the safe mode menu, which had a few different options, including IDE Drive Diagnostics and Boot to Utility Partition. I ran the Drive Diagnostics, and the primary hard drive passed. Then I tried to boot to the Utility Partition, and got the same result as for a regular boot, with the flash of a blue screen.

I went back to safe mode and poked around a bit. I looked at MsConfig and under the Boot.ini file there was a button to check all boot paths. When I clicked it, I got a message saying:

It appears that the following line in Boot.ini file does not refer to a valid operating system

C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/Cmdcons

Would you like to remove it?

It had a Yes and a No button below that.

Is this the problem, and should I remove it? If not, what's my next step?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

It should not make a difference, but sure - if the recovery console is not installed as a boot option you can delete that line.

#3 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

OK, I took it out and it still doesn't boot up. What else can I try?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Boot to safe mode and open msconfig. On the general tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all 3 or 4 boxes) and reboot. Does it boot to the desktop?

#5 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Do I uncheck all of the boxes? (edit sorry posted without reading very closely, I see it says all of the boxes)

It also asks if I should use original Boot.ini or modified version. Which should I use?

Edited by jimworzala, 15 October 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

original

#7 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Still no joy. It did the Blue screen thing again.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Okay - just a shot since you were able to boot to safe mode. Please re-enable normal boot in msconfig. Let's see if anyone else has some ideas for you.

#9 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the effort.

#10 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

Anyone else have some ideas, or do I have to repost? Is it possible that this is some kind of infection?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

This Microsoft support is in relation with Symantec(if you have one installed) http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822789
Or post your current antivirus and firewall softwares. If by chance you cannot test you sticks of RAM by memtest, try removing one stick of RAM alternately to check on the bluescreen error occurance.

Tekken

#12 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

No Symantec installed. Antivirus and firewall are part of CA Internet Security Suite. Also, am not sure what you mean by memtest, how do I do that? I will have to try the memory removal tomorrow as I need to get some sleep, but if you can give me instructions on memtest, I will try that first and post results tomorrow.

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

OP may want to run the onboard Memory Diagnostics Tool. To do so:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-know-if-my-computer-has-a-memory-problem

Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then clicking Memory Diagnostics Tool.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Choose between the two options for when to run the Memory Diagnostics Tool:
You can restart your computer and run the tool immediately.

You can restart your computer and run the tool later.

Memtest is a good bootable diagnostic tool as well.

Also:
Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No install. Extract the contents of the .zip file to a USB device or onto the faulting machines Desktop (Safe Mode most likely). Run the .exe file from the extraction.
If a language is preferred:http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

This little tool will give you an idea of what is causing grief. Hopefully....

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

BC has a guide and tutorial in creating and running a memtest http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic207910.html in case you want to double check from the previous suggestion given by bludgard. If you made any changes or updates before either on hardware(RAM) or software and immediately causes the bluescreen, remove them from your system.

CA Internet Security Suite.

Do you have the Firewall installed and running from the software package? How about your Windows firewall?

Tekken

#15 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

BC has a guide and tutorial in creating and running a memtest http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic207910.html

Hadn't seen that yet. Good post, jhayz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users