Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

media player does not play video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KaNer554

KaNer554

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

windows7 firefox6.0 installed a firefox6.0 add-on downloadhelper4.9.5. and file converter, downloaded videos from u-tube to drive c:, videos played perfectly with windows media player, installed an exterior hard drive and downloaded some videos there, videos from external hard drive cannot be played with windows media player or media player classic,file formats match the player formats, windows media player displays code cood11b1, is this a hard drive error or is there a missing connection between my computer and exterior hard drive? is there a special setup for extracting files from exterior hard drives? thank you KaNer554

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Try free VLC media player.

Tekken

#3 Callise

Callise

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I used WMP and the odd time I open a video file with WMP by mistake it can't play it anyway. :crazy:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

I use WMP and the only time that I've found that it cannot play a video file...is when it is first installed/used and no codecs have been downloaded/installed to enable file formats to be properly handled by XP/Windows.

There is no logical reason that a file which is on your hard drive or C: partition...plays, while those on an external drive don't. WMP accesses any file type which is duly recognized by the system and for which codecs are installed.

Unless the formats are not the same.

OTOH...you should try a different player to nail the issue down and VLC Player is one many speak highly of. I would also suggest Real Player (free version), which has changed its stripes from being obnoxious to a fairly decent player, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users