Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to get windows issue installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wolfsaiga

wolfsaiga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

i know a reason isn't really needed, but a cousin who i ratted out to his mom for doing drugs formatted my hard drive.
my basic problem is that i want to reinstall windows on it. i don't have a cd as it doesn't come with purchase. is there any way to install windows on my computer without purchasing a cd? i still have te license sticker underneath.
my older brother has the exact same laptop as i do toshiba l505 s5988.

i was thinking about cloning his hard drive onto mine, and somehow changing the product key to make it legal. but i have now idea how to change the product key. the how to on microsoft doesn't help, since the button to click "change product key doesn't appear"

the license is for windows home premium if it helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

If the computer did not come with disks, chances are it has a recovery partition built in.
This takes the place of the disks.

See if anything here will help you access the recovery partition. (if there is one on your system).

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD7C02140000R01.htm

If for some reason you don't have one, see if your brother does. If his has it, you can create a set of recovery disks to use since you both have the same system.

I won't comment on the cloning because I have no knowledge of that. Someone else will have to advise you about it.

#3 wabbit

wabbit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you can't get to the recovery partition, you can contact Toshiba and see if they'll send you a set of recovery disks. Once you install Windows, password protect your user accounts such as an admin account and a user account. If you're really worried about someone sabbotaging your system, do not let others use your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users