Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SacDan

SacDan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hi, and thank you for reading my post.

The other day, when I turned on my computer, it started up as normal until I reached the log on screen. Instead of showing the screen to prompt me for my password, the screen went black. The computer was still on. I turned the computer off and turned it back on in "Safe Mode with Networking" and the log on screen showed up as normal. I was able to log on to my computer successfully in Safe Mode. I did a system restore from the previous day and the problem went away for awhile (I was able to log on in Normal Mode). A couple of days later, though, I ran into the same black screen problem when starting my computer. I did another system restore successfully but I'm afraid the black screen problem will come back again. Can you help?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SacDan

SacDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Update: The black screen came again!

I ran DiskCheck and it found no issues.

I ran some tests with MSConfig and here is what I found:
If I ENABLE all Services and StartUp, I still get the black screen.
If I DISABLE all Services and StartUp, I still get the black screen.
If I DISABLE all Services and StartUp AND choose Safe Boot Minimal, I can log in as safe mode successfully.
If I ENABLE all Services and StartUp AND choose Safe Boot Minimal, I can log in as safe mode successfully.

I'm considering re-installing my operating system. Any advice?

Thanks!

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#4 SacDan

SacDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the response. I selected "selective startup" and unchecked all three items. (As I was unchecking all three items, "selective startup" was automatically deselected and "diagnostic startup" was selected instead.) I then restarted my computer with "diagnostic startup" selected. I ran into the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users