Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop is insanely slow...like watching paint dry...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carissa_lee_

carissa_lee_

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

It reminds me of my first computer, 13 years ago. So you can imagine how slow it is... well, before my dad decided to try to figure it out on his own, now it freezes upon start-up.

He's convinced it's something to do with MBAM, and said that is which process was consuming 1GB of memory. About a week ago I started it up and updated MBAM then restarted in safe mode with the admin account to do a scan. Nothing found. I've also used the repair option received when trying to boot in safe mode, checked task manager to see if there was an obvious program consuming the memory, stopped programs that were unnecessary to start the computer, and I think that's it. That took me about 3 hours to do. Before then he was convinced he saw something running that started with "hp" that was consuming the memory. The printer is an HP photo printer. I thought maybe the driver needed updating so I unplugged it and started up again so it would re-discover the printer but no go. He now tells me that it wasn't hp, but something with the word imaging in it that was consuming the memory.

Also the light on the front that says the hard drive is working on something is constantly on. No sounds from the tower like the hard drive has any issues.

As far as I remember I had set the computer up to do automatic Windows/Microsoft updates, added Spybot S&D to the browser and used avast! for the AV, as well as MBAM and SAS downloaded just to have available. It's not my computer, and the person who uses it most is the type who would click on a link or download an attachment received in an e-mail regardless of what I tell her. So, I tried to put any restrictions or protection on it possible, since the last computer was made useless due to a virus that made it's way onto it, which is why this one was bought.

Since it now freezes when trying to boot up (according to my dad, anyway, I haven't tried it yet), I am not able to tell you specifics on the computer... I just know it's Windows 7. I should probably mention my dad never saved or burned the 7 disc, even though it was constantly telling him to back up the OS and make the disc. I should have done it but I just never got around to it, and I left him with easy directions on it, but... no go.

It lags the moment it turns on, I was able to make a sandwich before it finished loading and got to the sign on screen when I was here before. I do remember, however, that if I right-clicked on something, the menu would pop up instantly, but trying to highlight or select an option from that menu was delayed. I thought that was odd & don't have any clue if that helps...

Any ideas? I wanted to post here first because I wasn't convinced it was a virus, so I wanted opinions I guess. Wish I could provide you with more info. I'll try anything I can to try to get more info if you have suggestions on how to get it to work again.

*edit* Windows 7 64-bit HP. Also, the computer starts up...it's just even slower, enough that it pissed my dad off and he left, which is why he thought it froze.

Edited by carissa_lee_, 15 October 2011 - 01:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Take a look at this topic by our very own quietman7: Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

10-15-11/ USA!

@ carissa:

I see that you are getting a lot of study links and that can be overwhelming.

Consider this study link I am showing you on:
"PC Optimization for Win7:

This teaching is a vital foundation all Window users should learn and implement (regardless which IBM operating system they use).

I've also discovered that the BC forum site limits the additional link studies I had intended for you here today.

So, copy-paste the following title searches in Google to discover, consider and learn HOW to use them on your own as follows:

How to Burn an ISO Image in Windows 7/

How to back up your registry in Win7/

How to speed up your Win7 at start up/

How to use Disk Cleanup in Win7/

Continue using MBAM. But, consider also switching to “Microsoft Security Essentials” for your Anti-Virus (and un-install any other that you're using now). It’s free from Microsoft and will work better than many of the subscription paid security progs out on the market today:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx

Another option is to just use I.E. for Microsoft Updates only and switch to another more secure browser (such as Fire Fox) and make that your main default browser.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 15 October 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#4 carissa_lee_

carissa_lee_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi there,

Wanted to thank those that replied and also report back. I guess I didn't look into the repair option enough. I used the hardware diagnostic tool and it reported back that the SMART short self test failed. So I guess my hard drive is failing! ...yay lol.

Thanks again for the replies.

-Cari

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users