Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Transfering Files From Infected Comp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Averus

Averus

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:31 AM

I had an old (3-4 years ) computer running windows XP. It was infected with some type of malware I couldn't figure out to remove. I replaced the computer, but there are some files ( pictures, wordpad documents, and a few programs ) that I would like to save before I toss the old comp. I'd like to save transfer these files without infecting my new computer, which runs Windows 7.

On the old computer, currently, after running malware bytes in safe mode and removing what was found, malware bytes finds nothing ( even in safe mode ), but whenever I run AVG the computer crashes/reboots ( in the same spot in the registry, somewhere around hklm/software/microsoft/windows/update, even in safe mode ).

Anyway, I would like advice on how to either remove the files safely, or remove the infection so I can safely remove the files risk free. They are of significant sentimental value and I am not willing to abandon them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

You're going to throw away the computer because it has a virus? :blink:

Why don't you reinstall Windows? It will be as good as the day you got it.

And why don't you do backups if you have files on there of importance?

Edited by .X., 15 October 2011 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

If you still want to keep that old computer running....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users