Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET Framwork updates not installing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Usul75

Usul75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, I have not been able to install my .NET Framework updates.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x64.
Downloads fine, but does not install. I get an error message.

Code 643 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

I have tried Microsoft tech support and let them mess around in my computer for hours, but they have not been able to fix the problem. Also they changed around a bunch of my settings and did not revert them back when they were done.

If anyone has any knowledge of what is causing this problem and how to fix it I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Usul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

If the updates won't install...your installations of MS.NET could be damaged.

I would remove all versions of NET currently installed, using the tool at https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=27e6a35d1a492af7&id=27E6A35D1A492AF7%21390 . The dotnetfx cleanup tool is what you want.

I would then reinstall MS.NET 2.0 and 3.5, SP1...only those two versions.

I would then update all critical updates.

Louis

#3 Usul75

Usul75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

I used the dotnetfx cleanup tool and it said that it had worked, but when I try and reinstall ms.net 2.0 it says that it is already installed as part of my operating system.
I also believe that microsoft tech support has already tried this method.
I have attached the log from the cleanup utility.

I am only attaching my third attempt at running the utility.
The first time I tried and it did not work I tried again and rebooted my comp.
when that still did not work I tried a third time.
I am only attaching the third attempt because the file size exceeds limit if i put all three attempts in the attachment.

I appreciate your help with this.

Usul

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Well...you don't have to use the cleanup tool, but it's easier for some.

The same can be achieved by uninstalling the most recent version (using Add/Remove Programs) first (not the subparts, just the major downloads), then uninstalling the next...until all have been removed.

I had a problem earlier today with something going wrong in NET per Event Viewer...so I went through the procedure I refer to.

Installing MS.NET 3.5, SP1 should take care of any system needs on the reinstall and it contains elements of 2.0 and 3.0. There is no need to install anything more 3.5, SP1 other than the critical updates.

There's no point in attaching logs of any type...they won't tell me anything about NET that I can understand. It either works or it doesn't and if it doesn't, then it's damaged and needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled as I have suggested.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users