Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inkjet printer just "died", should I invest in a Laser printer next?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

My second Canon PIXMA printer recently crapped out on me after a little over three years of use. The culprit: the print head of course. The previous PIXMA also lasted me three years as well.

I've been told elsewhere that I should invest in a Laser printer, I'd just like to know what the pros and cons of that are. Also, are there any AIO Laser printers (because I do quite a lot of copying and a bit of scanning, nothing professional though) out there, and could anyone suggest me an inexpensive one? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lemonflavor90

lemonflavor90

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Inkjet Printers:
http://www.eio.com/c-940-printer-inkjet-printers.aspx
Laser Printers:
http://www.eio.com/c-941-printer-laser-printers.aspx
one pro's and con's i see when comparing inkjets to lasers are the prices?
lasers are generally more expensive than inkjets, but over time for inkjets, you will spend more money on replacing the ink than investing a little more money into laser printers and not having to worry about replacing ink cartridges.
but i guess the quality of the print would be different too? im not 100% sure on that but im assuming it would be.

#3 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

I have had my current color laser printer for 5 years and still have not had to replace any cartridges. I paid about $150 for it at Sams Club. I don't print much. Maybe 10 or 15 items per week.

What I found years ago when I had an inkjet is that the ink would dry out before I got to use it up. I was constantly spending money on ink cartridges. That's how inkjet printers get you. Just like a drug dealer. The printers are cheap and then you pay $20 to $40 for a fraction of an ounce of ink every time you need a fix.

A laser printer can go for years before you need to replace cartridges and by then it's likely to be more cost effective to buy another printer.

I suggest you check out laser printers on amazon.com and epinions.com for reviews by consumers who own them.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

FWIW: I used inkjets...until about 4 years ago when it occurred to me that laser printers had come down so much in price...that they seemed to be the better way to go.

I no longer print images/graphics and the mono laser made sense to me...I have no regrets.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users