Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-cd-rw Drive Not Reading

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

I hate this.

I gave my laptop to the Best Buy Geek squad to fix the cd drive, screen and hd, because my dad purchased a warrenty with it. However, things have not been great. I had wanted them to clean underneath the screen to remove the hair that is under there. When I got the laptop back, not only was the hair still there, there were a few dead pixals in the middle of the screen. However, I let it slide, because the D drive and hd were functioning again.

But not anymore. The D drive has failed again; I tried to play a DVD, and while it recognized that a disc was in, it would not read. It made clicking noises while it tried to read it (not a good sign). And once, about a week ago, the laptop would not boot up past the Toshiba logo; only by turning it over and tapping the bottom was I able to get it to boot.

I am tired of this. I payed $80, and I got a half- :thumbsup: job. I am ready to ignore the warrenty, order new parts, and install them myself. I want to get a new screen, new D drive, and maybe a new hd (if I have the cash).

Am I getting worked up over nothing? Can I fix these problems some other way? Should I try to repair it myself? (I have never opened up a computer before!) Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A65 laptop, DVD/CD-RW drive, running on Windows XP Service Pack 2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

Should I try to repair it myself? (I have never opened up a computer before!)

No you should not. Laptops are the most difficult type of PC to dismantle, full of tricks where things can get broken if you don't know the right way. But there is a step by step of the A65 here - A65 Dismantle - doesn't cover the screen though.

If you have a warranty then use it - contact Toshiba and see if the warranty is with them or with the shop where you bought it. Say you're getting poor service and can you take it somewhere else. If it has to go to the original shop then demand they fix it properly this time. If your screen has dead pixels and its under warranty then that should be repaired too (which will fix the hair).

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 26 January 2006 - 10:59 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users